Where to learn about various sails and rigging types and uses, & sailboat types

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Chikokishi, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Chikokishi

Chikokishi Junior Member

Hi, does anyone know a website online where i can learn about the various sails, and rigging types, and boat types, and what sails are used for, and how to use them.. etc etc?

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

3. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

4. Chikokishi

Chikokishi Junior Member

OH those websites helped! How about one that explains how (and for what purpose) sails are used for? like The staysail, and the jib? I have no idea what their purpose is. And i cant find a good site anywhere either. Thanks for the help!

5. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Jib sails and stay sails increase sail area and therefore power, obviously. In addition the jib and main sails appear to work together, I don't understand this but you can find a lot of sites using google. In effect it seems to be like a slotted wing used on a plane during landing, allowing the wing to operate at a high angle of incidence without stalling to produce extra lift at lower speeds.

As well as drive power there is a question of balance; you wouldn't wnat the sails pushing the boat off the wind or into the wind too much or the rudder might not be able to do its job. Multiple masts on larger craft give more flexibility. Look up yawl, ketch and schooner to see different ways of achieving the same end.

Googling "types of sail rigs" will get you some good sites and Wikipedia has some good stuff. Whatever you get Wikipedia should always be verified from at lest one other site, however, as it does contain some rubbish. There are some excellent threads in this forum too: it has a search facility or you can use google's site search feature which is better.

6. MastMonkey

MastMonkey Junior Member

A book I really enjoyed reading and would recommend is "The Sailmaker's Apprentice," by Emiliano Marino. It is available through Google books.

7. Chikokishi

Chikokishi Junior Member

Ill have to look into that, books are always nice!