What's better Sail Or Power

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Adz, Aug 11, 2005.

1. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Bergalia, fit like? The Only things I sailed out of Aberdeen were those big multicoloured beasties, supply boats, still they kept the town going for some time! (especially the red and cream ones with the mammary gland on the chimney if you ken the ones I mean!

2. Alan.M

Alan.M Junior Member

You may never have seen a multihull out there, but that doesnt mean they arent there.
    I've seen lots of trawlers, but i dont think any of them has seen me!

3. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

What's better - sail or power- re: Alan M

Well yes, Alan - in fact I did see a couple of multi-hulled vessels 'out there.'
    The 'Levkov' and 'Chenska' big Russian factory ships. Big enough for half a dozen of we working trawlers (mine was 800 tonnes) to dock inside (between the twin hulls) to unload our catch.
    As for you suggestion that you've seen many trawlers - but doubt any saw you. Sounds like you only mix with sloppy skippers.
    Bet your sea-going boots you were spotted (and ignored). Survival in those waters depends on constant (60 minutes per hour - 24 hours per day) all round watch. Not just for passing yotties - but ice, freak waves, and snooping subs. I lost several friends whose nets got fouled by both NATO and Eastern Bloc subs - and because of the then phoney Cold War 'secrecy' were towed to destruction. :mad:

4. floridasailor

floridasailor New Member

capt dave

hay if your going on a trip like that and dont know how to sail forget it get the power boat sailing is not an easy thing to do well and you need a crew that knows what its doing for something like that

5. floridasailor

floridasailor New Member

take the power boat that is not a trip to take if you dont know how to sail its not as easy as it looks to do it well