What do I have and what is it worth?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by pauljosiah, Jul 20, 2009.

1. pauljosiah

pauljosiah Junior Member

I acquired a 16' sailboat. It says Larson on the front and it is at least 25 years old. I can not find anything about Larson making any sailboats. I do not know anything about sailing or sailboats and i would like to sell this boat. it appears to be in good shape for its age although there is no sail. I do have with it three aluminum poles of differing lengths. the dagger boards drop down from inside the boat. If there is any help for this, i would appreciate any info about the boat. If you need more info, let me know and I will do my best! Thanks

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Thanks Paul, I was looking for a sailboat with aluminum poles.

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

Thats a snap PAR one extra pole! IsĀ“nt just North and South common?

4. pauljosiah

pauljosiah Junior Member

she is Fiberglass!

The boat is not wood, it is made of fiberglass. Please excuse my ignorance about sailboats. In Wyoming, all we use are canoes and fishing boats a few kayaks here and there.

5. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Where in Wyoming are you planning to sail? (one of my favorite states. If the winters weren't so damn cold I'd move there)

3 poles? Sounds like a mast, a boom and a spinnaker pole. How long are each pole? Look on the back end of the boat, the transom, for a Hull Identification Number. If it has one it will be in the upper right corner. A twelve digit number. The first three letters identify the builder. If no number it was built before 1972.

Any way here's some Larson History http://www.acbs-bslol.com/Boatbuilders.htm

For a while in the 70's Larson was owned by AMF. AMF was into everything boating. They diversified a lot. They may have made a sailboat. A lot of companies did because of the oil crisis. People weren't buying powerboats but they were buying sailboats. Even Bayliner made a sailboat during that period.

On the otherhand it could have been another company. You can search on almost any name in the USCG manufacturer database and come up with a half dozen hits for each name.

6. alan white

alan white Senior Member

While I have never heard of a Larson sailboat, I can tell you its value is very low due to the lack of a sail (or likely, two sails, a main and a jib).
    The cost of replacing those sails would be anywhere from $500.00 to well over a thousand. Boat quality varies tremendously, but I don't think Larson sailboats are well enough known to command a following, and hence a likely customer.
    The value might have been up to $1000.00 with as good set of sails, but as it sits without sails (and who knows what else might be missing) I'd say you ought to see if the hull would interest someone who, for a couple hundred dollars, might use it as a fishing boat with a small outboard.
    Now come to think of it, three "poles" indicates a type of rig with a single sail such as a Sunfish sailnoat has, and you might just score a Sunfish sail out there for cheap. Then you might sell the boat for $300.00-$600.00.
    Don't get your hopes up though. You're going into this blind and until you get past the point of seeing a check clear you've got no more than a liability on your hands.

7. PAR

The mast may also be two pieces, Laser style. Without pictures it's a crap shoot as to what he has.

Larson built powerboats for some time and may have, like many others, ventured into the sail isle for a few years to test the waters. They died in the dark years of production boat building, along with most every one else.

8. alan white

alan white Senior Member

True that the only way to tell anything is with a picture or two.

9. pauljosiah

pauljosiah Junior Member

boat pics

here are some pics. the longest pole is about 15 feet, it has the cables on it, the shortest is about 4 feet and the other is about 10 feet. There is no 12 digit number on the boat that I can find. I live in northwest Wyoming about an hour from Yellowstone national park. we have a few lakes that would be good for sailing because we have good wind, it is just not a popular sport here because the mentality is hunting and fishing. I will likely sell the boat.

Attached Files:

• 062.JPG
      062.JPG
      File size:
      2 MB
      Views:
    • 060.JPG
      060.JPG
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
  10. pauljosiah

pauljosiah Junior Member

I could not get the other pics to load, if you need more, i can email them as an attachment!

11. PAR

Looks to be a lake scow with a fair bit of powerboat hardware attached over the years.

12. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

The M-Scow is a 16 ft (4.9 m) sloop rigged scow. Commonly called the M-16, the M-scow is sailed widely from Minnesota to New Jersey. The boat was originally designed by Melges Boat Works and became an ILYA sanctioned class in 1959. Over the years, there have been several builders, including: Melges, Larson, Bay Boats, Pegal, Gill, Bowland, Tanzer, and Johnson.

13. pauljosiah

pauljosiah Junior Member

Would this boat have any value on craig's list or Ebay?

14. bistros

bistros Previous Member

Honestly, not really much value - I'd expect $300-400 WITH a functional but rough trailer. Your best bet is to track down the M-16 class association and let them know one of their own is looking for a retirement home - they will be your best bet and the best way to keep the hull from being chainsawed to death.

If you are a kind sort, try to find a nice home for the elderly girl - in her day she was hot stuff although that is hard to see through the age spots and abuse due to weather and neglect. There will be someone out there to love her enough to bring her back to life, but it isn't going to be profitable for anyone - you or the buyer.

--
    Bill

15. PAR

That's about as polite as I could have put it . . .

For what it's worth, they're a lot of fun, but without being "splash" ready, it's a labor of love.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.