Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors
Old 03-10-2017, 12:10 PM

Rep: 223 Posts: 2,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by valery gaulin View Post
But now back on track with my topic. It seams that northern europe favor steel as a boat building material and that there is alot mor small yard building boats than in America. Maybe this is the reason why they favor steel. But how do they keep ot in such nice shape. I doupt that they contantly are fixing rust and stain. Most of their steel pleasure boat are in inpecable shape.

What is their secret???
Valery, most factories in Holland and Germany uses a chemical process to make steel anti rust / rustproof for products used outdoors. There are not many sunny days in Holland and plenty of water falling from the sky. I am convinced that the steel boat industry also using this kind of anti rust process.
Bert
Old 03-10-2017, 01:17 PM

Rep: 579 Posts: 2,365
What process is that?
Is it a secret?
Old 03-10-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upchurchmr View Post
What process is that?
Is it a secret?
No, we used it in South Africa already some 40 years ago. In our case for the production of cabinets for the telecom industry, standing in all kind of weather conditions at corners of the street. Forgive me that I am not able to give you all the details anymore. But we dipped it in a chemical bath and then in an oven. Bert
Old 03-10-2017, 02:22 PM

Rep: 158 Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertKu View Post
No, we used it in South Africa already some 40 years ago. In our case for the production of cabinets for the telecom industry, standing in all kind of weather conditions at corners of the street. Forgive me that I am not able to give you all the details anymore. But we dipped it in a chemical bath and then in an oven. Bert

There is a chance that he is speaking about phosphating.
This removes millscale. Often used in powder coating as a cleaning process though I have seen it used on steel tubing

There is another method which is the thermal application of zinc onto sand blasted steel. They sand blast and then into a hot area, they feed zinc wire into the hot zone, and the zinc spray attaches itself to the steel. Never seen this done but I worked on summer for a company that used Eutectic-Castolin spray weld, metalizing, to steal as an abrasive resistant coating. Tungsten powder was fed into a large oxy-acetylene flame and then onto the substrate
Old 03-10-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertKu View Post
If I still remember something like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SFVgVVIHdc

Except, I thought, we placed it in an oven for a couple of hours as a last phase. But it is so long ago already, I cant give the details anymore. I am already for 25 years retired and enjoying a great pension. I had little to do with our factory with 2000 people, other then walking through it, to see the manager . Bert
Old 03-10-2017, 03:59 PM

There must be 100 such processes.
Not much help here.

How big of an oven would you need for a ship?

With no details we couldn't even try to discover if anyone or everyone in North America now does or did the same thing.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:24 PM

Rep: 7 Posts: 83
interesting
https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=kOWNUV20lO0
Old 03-10-2017, 06:25 PM

Rep: 7 Posts: 83
https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=3DLrbI_RhDY
Old 03-10-2017, 06:56 PM

Nice to see you just discovered plating.
Known for at least 500 years.

What was the original finish of the motorcycle part?
Aside from the dirt I mean.

Having had lots of those I assure you it was plated with something.

Zinc is very soft. Not really applicable for plating the threads of a screw, or the contact surfaces where the axle is torqued down on that bike.
It will be ground right off.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:18 PM

Rep: 158 Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by upchurchmr View Post

Zinc is very soft. Not really applicable for plating the threads of a screw, or the contact surfaces where the axle is torqued down on that bike.
It will be ground right off.
On the other hand, just about every plated bolt that is commonly available from a bolt supplier is in fact electrocoated zinc plated.
as compared to hot dip
Old 03-10-2017, 08:07 PM
aka Angel (only by name)

Rep: 1632 Posts: 1,382
Re post #1 ---> PassageMaker ---> Boat Reviews ---> Steel ---> Cold Hard Steel Info
Old 03-11-2017, 04:45 AM

Rep: 1903 Posts: 4,652
Yes Angelique, I referenced that same article in my argument for construction the hull of a Pilgrim 40 trawler/canal boat of steel...in a frameless fashion.
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/redesigning-pilgrim-40-trawler-canal-boat-11212.html

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=172896&postcount=18

And here was another reference I made
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...&postcount=366
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu
My steel boat is in for a sandblast and paint of the upper works. We've never had good adhesion, and that's a lesson in letting pros do (and guarantee) paint on steel. After that it's a small but recurring job to chase down breakthroughs and patch them. Note I'm talking about upper works. I have never had the tiniest bit of rust below the waterline, even when there was bare steel showing, for the simple reason that I keep the hull at above one volt with generous use of aluminum anodes. Fourteen of them, plus the prop shaft zinc. I don't think of my boat as being a yacht - she's a miniature ship. The finish is rough, but OMG is she tough - I'll win any fight with anything made of fiberglass, and with docks as well. In addition, being steel lets me modify at will - the way the dinghy is mounted just got changed from over the fantail to up on the top deck, and the anchors have moved from "nostrils" to more normal bow rollers - and I made the parts in both cases out of scrap steel.
Steel boat – heaven or hell?
Old 03-11-2017, 04:50 AM

...another opinion from that pilgrim redesign though process

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowGypsy View Post
Brian, I completely agree with you concerning hull construction in steel!
I am currently going through the process of selling my beloved old Colvin steel schooner, and moving to a trawler, like the Pilgrim. Every boat I look at seems to have, or had, blisters/osmosis/hull delamination or soft deck problems due to the coring. Just thinking about all the issues I must be sure the surveyor addresses adequately reminds me again of why I love my steel hull!
Security, survivability, no deck to hull join leaks, no core rot, no soft decks, etc. Need a new cleat? - just weld it on!
In thirty years of ownership I have seen very little rust, none of it serious, and very easy to fix. (unlike a full FRP hull peel!)
I would love to have a steel Pilgrim!
Old 03-11-2017, 05:09 AM

Barry,

You are right, I was thinking about hot dipped zinc.

Old 03-11-2017, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valery gaulin View Post
What did we don't understand that they did?
I might suggest you give a little more thought to the 'Titles' of your new subject threads. It might attract a lot more responders