weatherhelm

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by getango, Aug 8, 2005.

1. getango

getango Junior Member

Thanks for the responses guys. Although I would love to sail this boat again, this proves to be almost as much fun, I sure am learning alot.
    Gilbert, you are absolutely correct, there is no evidence of any bowsprit ever used on this boat, and there is a sheave at the mast head, maybe aftermarket, most likely used for a spinnaker.
    John, I cannot tell if the wooden rudder was the original. I am about to ask a question that has been bounced around a lot in these forums but I have not seen a straightforward answer..what is the rudder area supposed to be?

Thanks.

GT

2. grampianman

grampianman Junior Member

Clarification, please.

This is a very basic question; is your rudder a kick-up type? I have always had a lot of weather helm when the rudder was not in the down position, to the point of worrying whether I could break the head of the rudder. This experience was gained on both dinghies and trailerable sailboats.

Cheers,
    Ian

3. getango

getango Junior Member

The wooden rudder was not, after it broke it was replaced by a retractable fiberglass one.

GT

4. asathor

asathor Senior Member

To balance a rudder you can extend it forward of the axis of the hinge, like this (ignore the underscores)
    _x
    _x
    _x
    _x
    xxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxx

5. getango

getango Junior Member

Thanks, asathor, someone recommended this to me before, but I don't know how much. Is there a proper amount that should extend in front of the axis, or is it a trial and error thing?

GT

6. asathor

asathor Senior Member

Thats the Powerball question.

It really depends on how the whole boat balances. A navel engineer should really do the math but as much as you are fighting it something like 20% ought to work.

I hope others who know your type of boat better chimes in.

7. des000

des000 Junior Member

Another thing you may want to look at is the shape of your main sail. If the sail is old, it may be streached in the middle and cupping at the leach. I know first hand how much this can effect the rudder load. Take a look at the main when your sailing and see if the the back 30 percent of the sail is flat. If not, you may want to consider a new main.