Want to make my own sail for Bolger Windsprint

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by pettinger1, Sep 13, 2005.

1. pettinger1

pettinger1 New Member

I'm a medium-cheap individual and am building my first boat, a Bolger-designed windsprint that I purchased plans from Dynamite Payson.

Doing OK on the construction itself, but was considering a used parachute for the sail material. Other than the green-army color, any suggestions about how/why/what for this part of the project?

As an aside, any feedback on where to buy fiberglass cloth without getting creamed financially?

Thanks!

2. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

Isn't parachute cloth kind of light, like a spinnaker? I don't know how big that boat is, but you're looking for something like 4 oz dacron minimum. Also, are the panels wedge shaped? That might actually work better for a triradial design than traditional seams perpendicular to the leech.

3. pettinger1

pettinger1 New Member

sail cloth

The parachute is extremely thin, as you suggest. The seams are parallel to the leech, with the sail plan looking something like a chinese junk style. I'm not familiar with all the terms, but that's as good as it gets from me.

4. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Not sure if they have 'charity' shops in so rich a country as the USA, pettinger1 - but here in Australia (where you recently screwed us over the Free Trade Deal) I furnished my daughter's International 14 dinghy with a 'new' set of sails using material from a couple of secondhand tents bought at the local Vincent De Paul store. My sewing machine also came from the same store. Total cost = two four-man tents A$5 each; sewing machine (1950's electric Singer - A$15.) An essential tool is a 'seam-ripper' A$2.50 from my local draper. A search on the net should find you some pretty good patterns. For starters try
    http://home.clara.net/gmatkin/freedes.htm
    Be warned - sailmaking can become addictive. :cool:

5. pettinger1

pettinger1 New Member

Fair trade and a fair sail

Sorry about the free trade thing. I'm a strong proponent of fair trade, not free trade. I think we're all getting the raw end from China, personally. BTW, my brother recently moved to Sydney.

Anyway, what I really need help with is some of the basic design concept. I made an opportunistic purchase already of several/many yards of sunbrella fabric. It's a bit heavy, but it was the right price and from my experience is quite wind/waterproof. I also have the basic dimensions from the plans I purchased. I just am looking for some tips how to form the cuts. For example, should the center of the sail be cut more generously to allow it to form a "pocket" in the middle? Or should the outer edges be cut more generously to allow for some "billowing". This is exclusively for fun, mind you, so performance is not critical.

6. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Want to make my own sail for Bolger Windsprit

Have a look at -
    http://www.boat-links.com/Sails/index.html

You may find some useful ideas there.
    To answer your question - yes the 'aerofoil' shape is brought out in the cut of the panels. It takes practice - so make patterns in 'brown' paper first and then paste them together to get a better idea of the final shape as it would be in your fabric.
    But I've no doubt there is a professional sailmaker out there who will eventually weigh in with the answer - and professional tips.
    If it's any consolation - my first 'homemade' sails resembled a set of twins wrestling in a pilllow case... But I explained it away as "A new concept I was experimenting with..." Even so, I still hear the odd snigger as I walk down the street..:(

7. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Yes, it seems we live in an era of spit and polish and high-tech gadgetry and if you don't have it all, you're second rate. Bull-$#!t! I look at all of the old boat plans on the web and read literature by designers of a by gone era where economy of design, build and function were paramount. I think a person deserves credit for making due with his means or just saying "no" to all of the glitz. Built it right and make it safe and have fun.

Oh, and was that wisk with one or two E's?

8. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

I assume your constant and fervent wish that "your bottle never explode..." is based on hard earned experience....Which means one thing, LP. You've been drinking it with an 'e' :D

9. LP

LP Flying Boatman

I think I''ve just had an EpiphanEE.:rolleyes:

10. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

LP - Just make sure you 'piph' in the bottle ;)

11. skiffman

skiffman skiffman

Since you mention this is for fun might I suggest you try making a sail first from a $20.00 tarp from one of the big box supply stores (Home Depot etc) and see how that sail works out before trying the more expensive materials? Many have been made and many have worked fine for first sails. Try it, you might like it. Skiffman

12. bazza

bazza Junior Member

13. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

I know this sounds to simple and good . But do any real sail making shops sell off any bigger sails in pieces to fit your needs?

14. chandler

chandler Senior Member

Lots of sail lofts sell used sails

15. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Just a thought but if you want to do this for real your going to have to 'play' a lot with material! As is mentioned above get a cheap tarp, a few text books and get chopping! Couple of points to remember - if its against a spar (mast, boom, gaff etc) and properly laced/fixed to it theres little stretch, if it's across the run of the cloth theres a little bit, if it's with the run of the cloth there's a fair bit and if it's on the 'gore' [diagonal] there's a lot! Cutt your 'belly' to fit! And give it a bit of 'belly' flat ain't natural, look at anybody else's sail. for starters I wouldn't worry too much about roping the edges - yep it's important later, but the MOST important thing is to get some cloth on the boat, get it drawing and get some confidence in your ability - OK later you may find it's mostly wrong but get that first sail made and up!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.