stability curves, understanding

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by tranmkp, Jul 26, 2004.

1. tranmkp

tranmkp "wherever you go. there you are"

just what they mean. For the example, is this a boat suitable for offshore racing? What catagory would this curve fall into? That would be a big help.

Attached Files:

2. mistral

mistral Senior Member

just few words on a very wide argument:
    considering the "about sinusoidal" curve:
    -the initial slope will tell how stiff is your boat; the steeper the curve the stiffer is your boat on little angle of heeling
    -the Y-axis value on 30 degrees of heeling RM30 is traditionally considered as the projecting value to dimension the mast section
    -the peak of the curve is the maximum righting moment of your boat
    -the angle (approx 115 degrees, i guess) at wich curve came back to y=0 represent the angle of vanishing stability. Assume that your boat is knocked down by a wave, this would be the widest angle at wich you may hope that your boat recover to unheeled position by herself; at wider angle your boat will capsize.
    -the area under the curve from 0° to 115° is the amount of energy required to capsize your boat, or, on the other side, your reserve of total stability
    -the area from x-axis and lower part of the curves (from 115° to 180°) is the amount of energy required to restore your boat from a capsize.
    A great book to understand this argument is "seaworthiness: a forgotten factor", by Tony Marchaj, very good and wide explanation of phenomenon but somehow anti-historical conclusion (just in my opinion of course ;) ).
    To spent some words on specific boat, generally speaking (i don't know the boat) I would expect a wider angle of vanishing stability for a 36' offoshore racer, 115° is not a huge value, and even most disappointing is the maximum negative value (at 155° heeling), this means than this boat is quite stable when capsized, it means that it's difficult that a wave can recover her after a capsize

fair wind
    mistral

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.