Vendee Globe 2016

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Vendee

Words from the Boss:

"I think when we start reaching, start foiling, our foils work extremely well. That is the reason we had a bit of pace at times on the trip down the Atlantic was because our foil works in the VMG mode, with very, very low angles of heel. 5 Degrees of heel and I can see sometimes ten tonnes on the foil. So that is really helping in a wide range. Our foil itself, the working area, is more than double that of the Dali. That plan gives you a positive effect earlier.”

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Vendee

===============================================
    Tanguy, can't fix the damage and will have to return to Les Sables.

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Vendee--Alex crosses the equator

#PRESS STATEMENT## First to the Equator

British Skipper Alex Thomson has broken a Race Record in the Vendee Globe
    Tuesday 15th November 19:05 UTC- British Skipper Alex Thomson onboard HUGO BOSS has crossed the Equator in first place and in the fastest time ever in the Vendee Globe solo, non-stop, round the world race. Having led the fleet since Saturday evening Thomson has set a new race record reaching the Equator in the Vendee Globe. Crossing the Equator in 9 days and 7 hours and 3 minutes.Thomson onboard HUGO BOSS has now entered the South Atlantic Ocean in the Southern Hemisphere.
    The previous record to the Equator was set in 2004 by French Skipper Jean Le Cam in 10 days and 11 hours. Le Cam is edition currently in 9th position.
    The Vendée Globe is a single handed non-stop unassisted race around the world. The race takes place every four years and has historically been dominated by the French. This year’s edition sees 29 IMOCA 60’s in the race. The race is renowned for being one of the most gruelling sporting challenges left in the world today. Just 71 of the 138 starters since the race’s inception, back in 1989, have successfully completed the race, and three have lost their lives along the way.
    Alex Thomson is determined to be the first British Skipper to win the Vendée Globe. It is a race which could take up to 80 days. Thomson is one of the favourites to win and currently has a lead of 56.3 nautical miles ahead of Armel Le Cleac’h onboard Banque Populaire VIII.

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Vendee

Rant: Scuttlebutt uses the term "foilers" to describe the fast boats in the lead that actually use "foil assist" pioneered by big multies over the last 30 years or so. These boats do NOT foil-if you watch them the stern remains firmly planted in H2O. What I'm wondering is what are these people who call this foiling going to call it when the rule is changed so the boats actually can foil!!
    ------
    Interesting article from Scuttlebutt:
    http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2...rm=Vende Globe First Big Test for the Foilers

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

12. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Vendee

Three questions for NA Guillaume Verdier: http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/16263/three-questions-for-the-architect-guillaume-verdier

What do you think about Alex Thomson’s performance?

“I’m not surprised to see him in front. He’s the one who went for the riskiest design choices. Alex has a boat that is not such a good all-rounder as the other foilers, but when conditions are favourable, he is quicker. Hugo Boss’s hull isn’t that different from the other foilers. But there is a difference with the size of the foils, and a considerable difference in terms of lift. That is what has made the difference in terms of performance. It’s a giant leap forward coming up with such a huge appendage. The fact that the foil pushes harder means there is less resistance, and so he can go faster.”

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Vendee- Alex(Hugo Boss) Collision!!

Hers part of the story so far:

We have sustained damage to one of the foils onboard after hitting something. Both Alex and the boat are fine.Here is Alex's account of what happened..

"Having had pretty quick night where the boat was sailing high averages and the boat was super uncomfortable I had retracted the foil 30% early this morning and was sailing the boat pretty conservatively in a building breeze. At 09.35 UT this morning I was down below trying to sleep and the boat was sailing in 22kts of wind with a J2 and one reef in the main. I was averaging 24kts of boat speed when I heard an almighty bang and the boat stopped and turned to starboard by about 30 degrees and the rudder popped up . I quickly went on deck, eased the main sheet and realised I must have hit something. I put the rudder back down, eased the boat down wind and went to take a look and the starboard foil has broken off. Right now I have taken the foot completely off the throttle and changed sails and retracted the remaining part of the foil and will sail on in these conditions until the wind and sea state moderate and I can inspect the damage and asses. I didn’t see anything in the water but it felt like the boat wrapped itself around something and it has caused some pretty significant damage to my foil. I was instructed to carry out an internal inspection of the boat and there does not appear to be any structural damage to the hull that I can see. For now I am going to continue and assess when I get the chance."

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.