Vendee Globe 2016

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

3. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

Yes, thanks for all the updates, Doug and yes, what a lovely, humble, inspiring man - totally impressive. Proper leadership stuff. And loved the fact that he took his boy's toy turtle with him and made turtle adventure videos!

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Vendee

You're welcome. Alex is a terrific guy-I'm going to really look forward to the next one of these in four years!

5. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Ditto...thanks for the updated Doug. This has been a great race indeed. The fleet is a bit more scattered than I had hoped. The battle for 1st & 2nd was surely a treat though.

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Vendee

You're welcome, Joseph-I've enjoyed this Vendee immensely-I hope Alex can pull it together for the next round! I doubt they'll go with full flying because foil damage like Alex had would have a far greater impact if the boat was foiling. With foil assist you can lose one foil and still be competitive.
    However, if there is a tech breakthru with highspeed sonar or a new tech that can warn of objects far enough in advance for them to be avoided , then they might just go to full flying.

7. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Jean-Pierre is leading with his chin.

I hate it when that happens.

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

9. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Yes we all learned the foils do snap off as do the rudders! This begs a question that has crossed my mind over the last few days:

Q: Is anyone aware of design concepts for shock absorbing foils and/or rudders such that, in the event of an impact, they will partially retract under load?

Such a concept, coupled with improved structural design, could allow a better chance to survive an impact. It appears the remote control hobby boats have already come up with some solutions. Possible to scale up some concepts for offshore boats?

If we can put a man on the moon it can be done I say! :p

http://www.hobbyease.com/silver-aluminum-rudder-for-1-4-shaft-w-65mm-shock-absorber-100mm-flex-shaft-strut-water-inlet-p1801.html

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Vendee

From Scuttlebutt tonight:

Vendée Globe: Jérémie Beyou Claims Third Place

(January 24, 2017; Day 80, 22:00 FR) – Breton skipper Jérémie Beyou crossed the finish line of the eighth edition of the Vendée Globe solo non stop around the world race at 1940hrs UTC this Monday evening, January 23rd, four days, three hours, two minutes and 54 seconds after the winner, Armel Le Cléac’h securing third place.

12. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

13. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Outstanding Vendee generally and fewer retirements than four years ago. Congratulations to Armel and Alex, incredible times. If the wind had given them a really quick route 'home' from the equator maybe it could be sub 70 days?.

As for the kick up rudders, well the ones on TechnoFirst were and still suffered damage. Whichever way you do it, as long as you can ship a new blade it helps. Worth thinking about repairing the entire transom fitting too as that can also tear out...I think at least one competitor has had to fix damage to the fittings.

3 due to finish tomorrow in shortish order and maybe beat 80 days if the wind plays ball.

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

15. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

I had the chance to view a few of the boats last September and can confirm Doug's information about the lifting rudders.I have also seen footage of the boats sailing with the windward rudder lifted.If it works there should be a shot of the winning boat attached.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.