Useful thngs on a boat

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by FemaleDuck, Feb 16, 2009.

1. FemaleDuck

FemaleDuck New Member

I recently discovered a very useful thing to keep on the boat - releasable
    cable ties. I've used the older type for ages, which have to be cut to get
    them off, but B&Q now sell ones which can be released, and they work
    brilliantly.

I wonder what little gadgets do you keep handy on your boats which seem
    obvious once you've tried them, but eluded you before?

2. Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer Junior Member

Releasable cable ties sound good.

Have you tried using them on crew?

Just kidding. The only "useful item" I can think of on my boat, other than beer, is a dispenser of window-cleaning wipes. They clean everything (although I don't recommend them on skin) including dinner ware.

FB- Doug

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

I recently have seen some collapsable kitchenware here in Istanbul. Bowls, deep dishes, colander and the like. The flexible ring was made of silicon stuff. If you ever tried to get some order in your galley cupboard, ever tried to find a proper place for bowls and colander, you spoke a curse upon them.

Regards
    Richard

4. bistros

bistros Previous Member

Not that it needs to be said, but Duct (gaffer) tape, electrical tape and a some Spectra for temporary rigging repair on the water. I keep a bunch of the plastic cable ties around - they make great temporary shackles.

--
    Bill

5. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

fuel usually eludes me when I go out but then I am reminded later that it would be nice to have. It used to be a big hassle on the 30' tub but now with the catamaran rowing is much easier.

6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Super C sweets, Vicks cough drops, tin opener, white gold sealed in plastic.

7. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Tiller extension for the o/b. Nothing fancy, just an aluminum pipe and a few hose clamps, with a rod down the middle for the kill switch. (It's amazing how quickly you can get tired out when you're trying to wrestle a 30-horse engine with your left arm two feet behind your back.)

Snap-in seat cushions. So much more comfortable than hard surfaces, and so much easier to keep clean and rot/mildew free than permanent cushions.

Disconnecting the gas line to the o/b 30 seconds before actually killing it. Gets the carb partly drained so you get a bit of fresh gas/oil in there when you go to start it a week later- no smoke, no fuss.

8. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I have installed a solid state fuel pump to act as a temporary pump when starting the outboard. Saves you from pumping the bulb to get fuel to the motor when you start. It also is a backup if the motor's fuel pump gives, at least you can keep the motor running.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.