Upgrades to a C&C25

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by JLIMA, Jan 29, 2015.

1. JLIMA

JLIMA crazed throttleman

I recently bought an old (1973 although the HIN suggests 1972 but they weren't made in 72 as far as I know tittle and reg both say 73 so we'll go with 73 for now lol) C&C 25 and am thinking about maybe upgrading her stove from a pressurized alcohol stove to a propane stove. I would like to put in a fixed propane stove but I see a few issues with doing so.
    1 there really isn't a good place to put a propane tank (or at least a place where the heavier than air gas could vent overboard in the event of a leak)
    2 space is at an extreme premium both on deck and bellow.
    3 Galley space is very limited

There is a sink in the galley that I replaced the drain hoses and sea-cock for (the old sea-cock wasn't doing so well... it had turned very pink and looked like it had suffered severe dezincifacation) The issue i'm seeing here is there is absolutely nothing installed in the line of a fresh water system, no tank no lines just the sink and a little hand pump (that works I tested it with a bucket to see if it pumps, which it does surprisingly well.) The questions I have here are:
    1. Where was the original tank located,
    2. What would make a good replacement tank (i know they came with 10gal. originally, but i would like to up that to maybe 20 or so)

Her electrical system functions but i don't know when it was installed the wires "look" newer and her battery has a sticker on it from 2012 (not that means much besides the battery is 3 ish years old) it powersthe running lights but not much else. I for some reason can not bring myself to trust it(even though the surveyor said there's nothing apparently wrong with it). So my only question here is (since i'm far from an electrician) does anyone know of a good, reputable, marine sparky (in SE Ma. or Ri.) that can redo the works?

Otherwise she's in very good shape (I had her hauled and surveyed) minus some minor issues (torn upholstery on the settees weathered teak and horribly dated electronics circa 1980)

Another thing I can't seem to wrap my head around (and this is just to sooth my curiosity) is that the previous owner (now deceased) had put in a stay sail on top of her normal rig... just wondering if anyone can maybe shine some light as to why one would do that.. to my eye anyway that sail would be so small it wouldn't be of much use (it heads at the spreader, and foots 5 feet from the stem) Why would this be done I've undone it sense it wasn't part of the original sail plan.

Any Advice/opinions are very appreciated and I'll be posting pictures this weekend when I head back down to her and will keep posting updates as I do more work. Thank You in advance.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

3. JLIMA

JLIMA crazed throttleman

I have thought about a camp stove (like a coleman or similar) they're cheap enough but i'd be worried about CO2 buildup using one in such a small space or is this a non issue and i'm just over thinking things (pretty common actually)and Gonzo I kinda like the forespar mini I think that'd be pretty neat in the cockpit with that rail mount

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The forespar comes with two brackets, so you can have two places to use it. CO2 an CO(much worse) will build up regardless of what fuel you use. As long as the companionway or hatch is open, you should have no danger.

5. JLIMA

JLIMA crazed throttleman

The weather has been preventing me from going and getting some new pictures of the boat but here are the pics from when I bought her. I'll do my best to get more pics whenever all this snow goes away (hopefully soon)

Attached Files:

6. JLIMA

JLIMA crazed throttleman

Just to say what's been done so far (in order done):
    removed the carpet.
    replaced all running rigging
    sent the OB to get a good overhaul
    removed all the old electronics (VHF LORAN and the like)
    installed a 360GPH rule bilge pump (interestingly there was never one installed)
    replaced the battery
    replaced all bulbs in running lights (except mast head, they all worked but it made me feel better)
    removed all cussions etc. from the cabin (they were very worn and not comfy at all)

side note: the head has a holding tank and everything there seems to be in good order there (it flushes well and goes to the tank or to sea well [the test to sea was done by flushing milk to sea]
    the wiring appears to be much newer than the boat and when tested by multimeter seemed in good order (time will tell with that one though, though the electrician said it shouldn't be a problem)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.