Trolling motor for aux power

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by LP, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

No.. I don't think you will have a problem:) Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  2. LP

LP Flying Boatman

I notice your location is San Diego. Are you using a saltwater motor? The smallest one I've found is a 40#er by Minnkota. In fact, they are the only saltwater trolling motor I've found. Are you aware of any others?

3. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

I really didnt want to spend the money on one. I just take it off, bring it home with me, and wash it really good. I havent had one problem yet.

4. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

Wow, I sound so cheap! At the price I paid, and the fact I wasnt going to leave it on the boat, I'm not too worried. It's not stuffed in a damp environment, and I take care of it. Personally I wouldnt spend the money on a saltwater motor. Some here are going to disagree.

5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

I have a Thistle (17 ft.) that is converted to a beach cruiser. A 28# Minn Kota pushes the boat along at , I'm guessing, 3 knots. It takes several seconds for the boat to come up to speed. The all up weight of the boat is about 600 pounds. Strong head winds or tide diminishes performance of course. It still works. The battery has given no trouble, but I have not motored for long periods of time...15, 20 minutes maybe. Birdwatching and other voyeuristic pursuits make the electric a joy to use. No noise, no fuss. The boat has a 9.9 Johnson with an alternator. The gas engine has kept the battery topped up quite nicely. The gas engine is for use in rivers and other places that are difficult to sail. The 9.9 is way too much power for this application so it runs at idle most of the time.

A larger electric, like the 40 pounder, would be plenty of power in most circumstances, however battery drain will need to be monitored more closely.

6. LP

LP Flying Boatman

I've had the boat now for a couple of year's now without using any motor and have managed. There have times though when a kicker would have been nice. I figure it's primarily going to be used to maneuver in and out of marinas, occasionally save me when the wind dies and, at the extreme, help me go to windward when time constraints keep me from beating to windward.

The last scenario is also worst case in regard to battery consumption. I purchased an Optima gel cell marine battery, but it is only rated at 55 AH. I will probably return it for a higher AH rated battery. The specs. that I received for a 40# thrust motor are 42 amps at full power, 8 amps at 1/5 power with 8 amp increments up to full power, give or take. Thats 1.3 hours at full power and 6.8 hours at 1/5 power on a full charge. I'm sure actual usage will fall somewhere in between. A 100 AH would double those values, but I'm hessitant to sacrifice the safety of a gel cell.

Due to the expense of gel cells, I'm thinking of going with an AGM, but I believe these batteries are also expensive for the AH rating. My main concern is to not have an acid spill if the boat is upset. I'm wondering a sealed marine deep cycle would offer adequate spill resistance for my use. I'm also concerned about battery fumes. I believe that the gel cells, AGM's and the sealed batteries are all safe in this regard. (?)

7. mattotoole

mattotoole Senior Member

Schock's Harbor 20 uses a trolling motor for auxiliary power. So check out the specs, and possibly contact a Harbor 20 owner for an explanation and/or demo.

8. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Powered up

Here's what we ended up with.

Attached Files:

9. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

That looks nice (I mean, if you have to have an engine). Much better solution that most I have seen.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.