triditional double ended gaff rig ketch

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by serray, Jun 21, 2014.

1. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

If you're paying a yard with much experience in aluminium boat building, I'd agree with you. If you're going to do it yourself and you're not already quite experienced with the material, I'd strongly disagree with building in ally.

Steel is very forgiving to work with. Ally is not.

For hull shapes like the OP is interested in, an ally hull will require more ballast to get down to the DWL than a steel hull and therefore be stiffer. I can't see that there'll be any other significant difference.

FWIW I'd happily buy an ally hull (after a very thorough survey) but I won't build one, despite a lot of equipment and a fully equipped purpose built shed.

PDW

2. serray

serray Junior Member

pdwiley petros have given aluminum some thought but steel still has my main interest thanks for the info serray

3. bpw

bpw Senior Member

How much blue water sailing have you done?

You won't really know what you want until you have been out cruising for a year or so, buy something cheap, get out there for a few years, then start thinking about building/buying the "perfect" boat.

4. serray

serray Junior Member

bpw thanks blue water sailing none good advice serray

5. Scunthorp

Scunthorp Hull Tech

Part what are your thoughts on something like a lifeboat conversation ie the Nancy G?

6. serray

serray Junior Member

scunthorp thank you for your reply I have often thought of that like to know more about nancy g no knowledge of her thanks serray

7. serray

serray Junior Member

scrunthrop looked up nancy g couldnot find a lot any where you would recommend thanks serray

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Nancy G is a current project underway in the great white north, by a fellow member.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/bo...orsailer-conversion-build-progress-36702.html

It's a long thread, so plenty to read.

A life boat could work, though they are of limited size and usually 'glass, not alloy. They have a lot of internal volume, so if built fairly light, you can get an impressive displacement/ballast ratio. Their hulls are generally a bit "tender" to the average sailor and they're not especially efficient, because they have a lot of drag associated with them. You must remember, these are boats designed to have a very limited use, so passage making isn't one of their long suits in the SOR.

9. serray

serray Junior Member

par thanks or the info willl look it up sounds very interesting serray

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.