Too windy to sail - Lake Huron

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by kach22i, Jul 5, 2006.

1. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Does anyone have any rules of thumb to go by for casual sailing?

What I'm looking for is a chart, let's say the horizontal would be boat size, the vertical wind speed, and the charted line actual boat speed.

The reason I'm asking is I spent last weekend near Mackinac Island in the UP of Michigan. My buddy said he sold his small sail boat because it gets too windy by mid morning to go casual sailing, he does not like going fast in strong winds, he goes up there to relax not race.

I do not sail.

I've been on a Hobbie cat once, and liked it.

My friend had a small mono-hull.

2. frosh

frosh Senior Member

I would say that a chart plotting wind strength versus boat size could not be produced as there is no linear relationship in small reacreational sailing craft.
    The biggest factor is experience, ability and willingness of the sailor to take his boat out as the wind gets stronger.
    The more crew weight within reason allows more control and righting moment. For instance on a Hobie 16 or larger beach cat having three aboard instead of the normal two allows an exciting ride in say 20 knots plus of wind.
    On cruising type boats of all sizes it is usually possible to reduce sail area by reefing the mainsail and going to a small jib.
    However I also know people that are uncomfortable to sail in stronger winds and avoid it by planning their trip after checking weather forecasts.

3. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Interesting statement, however even a logarithm or multi dimensional calculus plot can be examined in a chart with a curve or at least some aspect of it, right?

I asked my buddy about just reducing the size of the sail, taking some in. Apparently something about the way the sail is attached on his model does NOT allow for this type of adjustment.

I have also spoken with someone who owns a larger personal cruising hovercraft in the area. He said my small hovercraft would not do well in that area of Lake Huron for the same reasons that the small sailboat was so challenged - wind and waves out of scale with the conditions.

EDIT:
    Added the all improtant NOT

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  4. Redsky

Redsky Senior Member

the reason the lakes are always out of scale with what people consider are normal conditions on say ocean coastal areas is beacuse they are shallow bowls oriented basicly boadside to normal weather patterns. conditions on the ocean that wouldent damage a boat.. will sink it on the great lakes..1 they are freshwater means less bouancy. 2 you have a general rymthic reflection wave going back and forth across the lakes that generates nasty local wave conditions and 3 the mac straits are known for a perminente wind condition...cars have ben blown OFF the mackinaw bridge before. lots of people have just dissappeared over the years on or over the lakes. no sutch thing as real casual sailing on the great lakes.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Small boats can be sailed in rough weather. It depends on the design and the ability of the crew. A boat with a rig that can't be reefed, like a Sunfish or a Laser, is definitely only for fair weather use.

6. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I assume that when a small inland lake sail boat user hits the big lake they are a little outside of their comfort zone as well.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.