Tiburon 36

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Guest, May 8, 2003.

1. tasmanisle

tasmanisle New Member

just had a look at your pics of the Triburon, she looks beautiful, I would love to get hold of a copy of the sail plans, also, any photos you have, expecially of the dodger,if you can reply and maybe give me a phone number, I am in Australia and would like to touch base with you,
    Regards
    Rob

2. Richard B

Richard B New Member

Tiburon 36 Issues

Have had one for 19 years, a 1976, now on the market. Yes, the aft deck will sag from the mizzen. I have ignored it. The aft hatch was changed to a tilt up hatch from a slider to gain deck area. No leaks here. Most leaks will occur at the stantion bases which were reworked after 1977. My hull # is 20, Silver Heels is # 16 as I recall. Worlds best cockpit. A built in problem is the steel fuel tanks. I replaced mine ten years ago with fiberglass. I believe the ballast to be encapsulated concrete. The teak decks go bad, I would remove and fill/nonskid them. It is also cooler in the tropics without the teak.

3. Richard B

Richard B New Member

tiburon 36 issues

See my post 9-20-08 @ tiburon issues @Richard B

4. trisailing

trisailing Junior Member

Sleepable

Yes I would say it definitely sleep able for two. I will have pics soon on the site of the new mattress for the aft cabin. Stay tuned as we regularly post up dates to the site. Have fun out there.
    Mike
    www.picasaweb.google.com/trisailingfla

P.S. There are some pics now of how some one added a post for the mizzen in the aft cabin.

5. Joyo

Joyo Tiburon 36 Hull#36

Tiburon 36 information

I know this is an old thread but I hope SV Papillon could send me a copy of the Tiburon 36 sailplan.

I just bought the boat and i have to replace the engine. I bought a Yanmar 3JH4 39Hp a couple years ago to put in another boat but changed my mind. The engine in my new boat is a Yanmar 4JH3 45hp.

My question is based on your experience will the 39hp be enough or should I have the 45hp rebuilt?

I realize that the 45 hp would be better but more expensive up front and to operate.
    Your thoughts?
    Thanks

6. trisailing

trisailing Junior Member

Enough HP?

Yes the 39 is plenty of HP. The original engines where 54HP Chrysler-Nissian.
    But they used older tech and the newer engines work just as well if not better.
    I currently have a 37hp Beta marine engine and it works fine. MAY need to repitch prop, but test first.
    Mike

7. trisailing

trisailing Junior Member

Hard to find leak

I had a leak that I could not find at first. I thought it was my new portlights leaking, but I was able to eventually find that the leak was coming from under the main hatch turtle. This is a piece of plywood added at the factory to seal off the deck from the overhead liner. It had started to rot at the edges and was leaking very badly. I would check this. You will have to remove the hatch to to check it. If it needs replacing the easiest way is to cut an opening in the turtle so as to have room to glass in a new board. ( Replace when done using epoxy.) I actually took a piece of 1/2" blue foam board from Lowes and cut it slightly smaller, then glassed both sides at once and brought the edges together to seal it. I'll link some pics of this later for those who may want to see what I did. I hope I have some pics of it anyway.
    Mike

8. Joyo

Joyo Tiburon 36 Hull#36

Good information!

Thanks for all the information. Keep the suggestions coming. I continue to learn about the necessary repairs/upgrades I need to make while I refurbish this Good old Boat.
    I have a 1978 tiburon 36 hull #36. That circumnavigated in the mid 80s. She has been well maintained up until 4 years ago. I have mostly cosmetic work but a good bit of upgrading as well.
    Jim

9. Joyo

Joyo Tiburon 36 Hull#36

Tiburon 36 steel fuel tank removal & replacement

I need suggestions on removal of the starboard steel fuel tank. it looks to me like the tank was installed and then the liner installed on top. It looks difficult to remove. I'm thinking that I will have to cut the section of the liner out and then somehow, re-install it after replacing the tank.

Has anyone done this on a Tiburon 36? Please provide me with advice on how to proceed.

The tank curves with the hull, so I was thinking that I could build a GRP tank to replace the steel tank. Or fabricate a new one out of stainless steel.

If someone knows of another tank option please post a reply.

Thanks,
    Jim

10. jimbooth019

jimbooth019 New Member

I too just bought a Tiburon 36. Painted the topsides last weekend.
    She has a 32hp Universal Diesel and it seems to be enough. Plenty to do here.
    Hull number 26. Cheers, jim

11. Joyo

Joyo Tiburon 36 Hull#36

Tiburon 36 engine size

Jim
    Thanks for the post. I believe I will be going with the 39 hp. You and Trisailing haven't complained of being underpowered

I did figure out how to pull the starboard fuel tank. Required removing the passageway sole and a lot of trim. But was able to remove the cabinet face in one piece and get to the tank. It's a rusty mess that is glassed in but I will remove it this weekend and start fabricating a new stainless steel replacement.

What paint did you use on your top sides? That's also on my very long list!

Jim

12. Joyo

Joyo Tiburon 36 Hull#36

Trisailing
    The area under the hatch turtle looks ok for now but discovered that the plywood core inside the vent dorades are exposed and rotting. The factory put only a then film over the plywood inside dorades. I'm hoping after a sufficient drying time I can clean this out and replace with foam and glass over. It won't be easy working through the 4" hole but I believe doable.

I would like to see the pics of your repair if you found them.
    Thanks Jim

13. jimbooth019

jimbooth019 New Member

My boat has three separate plastic fuel tanks giving a total of about 36 gallon. I'm suspecting that the original tank is still in location. Gonna have to dig into it and see. If nothing else, create even more storage space. :) Painted with automotive acrylic urethane, rolled it on and brushed it out a bit. Looks okay, wish I had used a foam roller it would have had less orange peel. I could wet sand and buff, but I'm not that picky. It is all one colour and shiny. Did the whole job in a weekend. Back into the water and we will attack the wood then paint the deck. Does yours still have the teak decking? Ours has all been removed and decks fiberglassed. It appears that there was a fair bit of water damage at one time. Has new sole in the cabin and I found some soft spots in the cabinetry - but completely dried currently. Still have a lot to discover I'm sure. Sails great! Very balanced, smooth.

14. Joyo

Joyo Tiburon 36 Hull#36

on my '78 I have two 50gal tanks that appear to be the same shape, one starboard and the other port in the engine compartment. The port tank appears to be ok but the starboard tank has rusted from the outside in.

My Photos: (I will continue to add as the project progresses)
    https://plus.google.com/photos/110818032023896594993/albums/6159967840723829921?banner=pwa

I have the boat on the hard behind my shop to do all the work I have planed. I haven't sailed her yet, so I am motivated to get the work done and put her back in the water next spring.

I hope to paint the topsides and deck in the early fall. I do still have the teak deck and it is serviceable but I plan to remove it and reduce that maintenance anyway. Teak decks are hot in the southern latitudes so they have to go but I sure like the look and sure footing.

Jim

15. Bashleys

Bashleys New Member

We recently purchased a 75 Tiburon 36. We suffer some deck sag at the mizzen, but should not be a problem to return the deck to its original configuration, the add a mast support. Because of the deck sag, the sliding hatch does not seal well, and will need to likely be replaced w/a newer upgrade. We also have a bad port fuel tank that will have to be removed. It is encased in glass, so will need to be cut out prior to replacement. We moved the boat from San Diego to Oxnard, and found her to be a well balanced, comfortable sailing vessel. We plan to live aboard in a couple of years, and are looking forward to a full circumnavigation. Currently I'm upgrading the electrical w/a new inverter/charger.