Thru Hulls

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Harold Anderson, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

"seal it all down with FixTech (Polyurethene)"....no, epoxy will NOT stick to it.

2. Harold Anderson

Harold Anderson Junior Member

I am not familiar with Fix Tech, Polyeurethane. Who makes it? Will it hold the backing plate and sea cock over the thru-hull hole if the thru hull is sheared? Sorry for all the questions but I only want to do this once and need piece of mind when I install these new marelon thru hulls.

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Eurothane is a product made by a few people,-- maybe sikoflex is more familiar.

Is you boat solid glass or balsa core construction, if it is a core then it is far more involved than this, but not difficult just a different procedure.

4. Harold Anderson

Harold Anderson Junior Member

Sikoflex is a name I am familiar with. My boat is solid glass no core. Thanks

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Right then,-- now we got the info...

If you have a bit of fibre glass sheet I would cut a six inch square and cut a hole to the fitting then cut the hull and sika it all together. This just strengthens the hull where the fitting is.

If your fitting a cock to the fitting thread check to see if the cock and handle will align the way you want it and mark the fitting accordingly to get it in the right place.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.