thru-hull fittings

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Guest, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Does anyone have experience with Delrin thru-hull fittings. I understand the benefits of a non- corrosive fitting, what are the negatives? Are they superior to a well made and cared for bronze counterpart?

2. Polarity

Polarity Senior Member

Hi Guest and Welcome,

Can I ask whats the hull made of?.....

Paul

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Hello Polarityand thanks for the welcome, the hull is fiberglass.

4. Polarity

Polarity Senior Member

OK well the normal arguement against them is fire - but in a grp hull that's irrelevant!

I would say imagine you have the boards up and you are moving your storm anchor when you accidentaly drop it on the fitting. If you are happy with that scenario then you have found a solid and well made product - use it!

Otherwise a "well made and cared for bronze counterpart" will do the job admirably. - You dont really have much of a galvanic/electrolisis problem in a grp hull (as long a you don't bond the through hulll to anything) as there is no circuit.- it is isolated by the hull and plastic tube - But there are 2 schools of thought on that - the other one says what about the water in the pipe as a conductor - and I dont want to get into that argument!

The thing to watch out for in any existing bronze fitting is a pinkish tint to the metal - de-zincification - you may find they have the strength and watertightness of a sponge cake!

Paul

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.