Sydney-Hobart 2015

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, Aug 4, 2015.

1. OzFred

OzFred Senior Member

So you call Pepsi Coca Cola?

That is somewhat inconsistent with your previous statement which infers that any through–hull, extendable horizontal foil is "a DSS".

The patent is not just the horizontal foil, it's an entire system that also encompasses the boat design. It is possible to design and build such a foil with zero input from DSS Limited and outside the bounds of the patent, in which case it is not "a DSS".

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

What utter nonsense,oz!!

3. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Can't believe the totally complete and utter BS regarding DDS foils being hyper-unique and preciously patented.
    FFS how long have horizontal or near horizontal foils been around?
    Check out the images from a 1956 AYRS publication of various foil designs from 60 years ago. Say again, sixty years ago - and for sure there would be many other earlier examples.
    A foil is a foil whether it is vertical for anti leeway or horizontal or near horizontal for vertical lift.
    My oh my, a DSS foil poking out the side of a monohull. So new, so different? Let's cash in.

Attached Files:

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Dss

I find it very amusing when people come out of the shadows saying DSS is not unique- it's been around for 60 years!! What nonsense. The very first DSS boat is still racing and it's only been around a few years.
    And there's a whole thread here where Gary talks about how he likes the advantages of DSS!!!
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sailboats/coxs-bay-skimmer-49353.html

Gary Baigent from post 23:

"But I like the free or almost free righting power and stability of DSS, worth pursuing the extra complications of constructing the system."

5. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Yes, well you can be pedantic about a johnny-come-lately brand name but my point is that horizontal foil lift is not a new invention, has been around for many, many decades. And this is not a discussion of horizontal foil ability to provide vertical lift, (HFVL as opposed to brand name DSS?) - because a horizontal foil does this extremely well. It's the main reason I put an inverted T foil (HFVL? - remember that trendy name, my patent though, you'll have to pay to use it) on Flash Harry's rudder way back in the early 1980s.

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Sydney-Hobart 2015--The Final Report

From Scuttlebutt tonight: http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2016/01/04/48454/#more
    --------
    From Scuttlebutt tonight-1/5/2016:

When 108 yachts started the 71st edition of the Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race on December 26, their plans for finishing the 628nm offshore classic were quickly disrupted by the most dramatic weather and racing conditions the race has seen in over a decade.

Thirty-one yachts would not survive the storm. What derailed their effort? Here is the list:

• Trybooking.com - Retired - Damage to bow thruster
    • GYR Wot Eva - Retired
    • Frantic - Retired - Torn mainsail
    • Dekadence - Retired - Electrical problems
    • CEX Dolce - Retired - Broken mast
    • Hollywood Boulevard - Retired - Hull damage
    • KLC Bengal 7 - Retired - Mainsail damage
    • Koa - Retired - Steering damage
    • China Easyway - Retired - Sail damage
    • Cougar II - Retired. Mutual protest by and against Lupa of London for an incident after the start. Cougar II found to have failed as port tack boat to keep clear of Lupa of London but as both boats had retired no penalty could be applied.
    • Wild Oats XI - Retired - Mainsail damage
    • Perpetual Loyal - Retired - Rudder damage
    • M3 - Retired - Broken forestay
    • Dare Devil - Retired - Rudder damage - returning to Sydney
    • Lupa of London - Retired. Mutual protest by and against Cougar II for an incident after the start. Cougar II found to have failed as port tack boat to keep clear of Lupa of London but as both boats had retired no penalty could be applied.
    • Patrice - Retired - Mainsail damage
    • St Jude - Retired - Rudder damage
    • Black Jack - Retired
    • Pretty Fly III - Retired - Broken forestay
    • Jaffa - Retired - Engine problems
    • Brindabella - Retired - Mainsail damage
    • Ark323 - Retired
    • Avalanche - Retired
    • Great Xpectations - Retired
    • Local Hero - Retired - Minor Hull damage
    • Takani - Retired - Rudder damage
    • Pazazz - Retired - Mainsail damage
    • Landfall - Retired - Hull damage
    • Triton - Retired - Mainsail damage
    • Victoire - Retired
    • Samurai Jack - Retired - Sail damage

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  7. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Storm .... ! Lets kill that.

From ABC coverage:
    "Organisers are calling the conditions "really nasty". A "southerly buster" hit the fleet overnight forcing multiple retirements. Wind gusts of 44 knots were reported."

By met office guidelines the gusts are factored around 40% higher than wind strength. Eddy currents running at around 1 to 1.5 knots in the southerly direction along the coast south of Sydney add to the wind shear slightly, then (looking at the charts) only between Jervis bay and Eden.

It's not the weather that breaks the boats, the weather provided the conditions for the operators to break the boats. It's what I posted earlier about them not being Kamaz trucks and being pushed too hard in inclement conditions.
    Those same conditions would be benign if the boat slowed down or altered course, the weather is always beaten up as the root cause, bit it isn't.

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

9. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Sorry to hear that, too bad he had to go out with his boat not finishing for the first time in years. I don't know if he was a sailor himself but he was certainly a major supporter of the Sydney boat building industry. R.I.P. Bob. Condolences to family and friends.

1 person likes this.
  10. CT249

CT249 Senior Member

Bob was definitely a sailor himself, and very well liked by his crew.

11. rcnesneg

rcnesneg Senior Member

So what's next for WOXI? New paint scheme and name? I hope not...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.