Suggestions

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by grizzly, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

So build a Laser...

-Tom

2. grizzly

grizzly Junior Member

I haven't seen plans for a laser. But I think the Spindrift or Summer breeze would be a better family boat. I have a wife and a 5 and 2 year old. I dont expect to have good performance with this load but I do want to be able to carry them all. We go to the local lake 1 or 2 times a week in the summer.

3. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Cartopping sucks in general. You have to design to the aero loads as well as the hydro loads, and this can add weight. For two people, the only style boats I'd consider practical cartoppers are canoes and kayaks. They are aerodynamically clean, effect mileage little, and don't gain weight in cartopper mode. Very few modern cars will accept the sort of roof rack you need to secure a boat and most hoods and trunks won't like the tiedowns run over them either. If you've got an old Fury or Newport sedan or Town and Country wagon, go for it. Standing on a slimy ramp pushing the boat uphill onto your car is a recipe for disaster. Trailers are way better. The ONLY advantage for cartopping is if you plan to do car shuttles- You can cartop out on a different car at the other end. Just remember, after a long day sailing, you may not have the energy to get the thing up on the car that you had in the morning when you unloaded it. Nothing at all wrong with a well done sailing canoe.

4. grizzly

grizzly Junior Member

The lake we go to is about 15 miles from my house so I am not worried about MPG on such a short trip. Otherwise I agree with you about the cartop.

5. WhiteDwarf

WhiteDwarf White Dwarf

Selway Fisher have a design called the Hobo. Comes in 12 ft and 14 ft versions.

The hull is a scow, flat bottom, bilge and side. In addition the deck is flat (apart from the cockpit and breakwater) so if you are going to car-top, it would have definite advantages. Trouble is I've never even seen a picture of a completed one but check out the web site:

http://www.selway-fisher.com/Other1013.htm#HOBO[/URL]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.