Steel masts

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by mikeny, Mar 26, 2017.

1. M&M Ovenden

M&M Ovenden Senior Member

2. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

You could build the taper in by making tapered staves but it would be easier to make a parallel sided square section block and then mark the taper on the faces. Take down one side at a time transferring the marks. In practice a long straight taper is almost indistinguishable from a curved one but it is much easier to mark out.
    You could do it on your own if you have a slow cure adhesive, otherwise you'll need help to put the clamps on. Incidentally, you will need lots and lots of clamps but the pressure isn't high. You can make clamps cheaply with a pair of blocks of wood (or angle bar) with threaded bar through the ends.
    Make sure that you will have enough trestle space to be able to roll the mast without risk of it falling off. You can rotate it but that'll be difficult on your own, much easier to roll it....that goes for a solid mast too.

Have you considered a box section mast? It would be simpler to make and lighter.

3. M&M Ovenden

M&M Ovenden Senior Member

The weather is still too cold so we are only preparing to build our masts and hopefully will be starting the scarfing in the next month.

I published the page where I will document the building of our laminated masts and quickly posted a few photos of clamps, sawhorses, scarfing jig. I will add and update as it happens this spring. http://boatmutts.ca/building-the-masts-and-spars/

Murielle

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.