Spreader what the correct hight from boom????

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by MarioCoccon, Jan 23, 2006.

1. MarioCoccon

MarioCoccon Senior Member

Hi Iam changing the mast of my Newport 27, I saw in the internet that this boat came with the 34 feet mast for cruise and 37 for racing purpose. I have a Kalik 33 mast that measure 40 feet, but I need to cut at least 3 feet because its more heavier than the original "not too much". Ok this is the?? when finally I cut the mast the spreader will be at 9 feet from the boom . The boom it will be putted at 4 feet from the deck. This mast its a 1977 Izomat with modern design giving the spreader looking to the stern, the Upper are attached with T ball one foot and a half frm the top. Below the spreader are the lower with Tball too. From the spreader to the top it will be 24 feet . It is a problem or not Iam thinking in put two tangs between the spreader and the uppers without spreaders just in case and for tune the mast. Opinion please Iam a little bit short of time. Thanks everybody.

2. Buc

Buc Junior Member

With a single spreader rig, the spreaders should split the distance of the "I" dimension, which height of the foretriangle, creating "panels" of approximately the same length. If the total length of "I" is roughly 37 feet (4'+9'+24'), the spreaders should be 18'6" from the deck.

3. MarioCoccon

Hi everybody anyone else, I need to decide. thanks

4. Windvang

Windvang Yacht Designer

So your spreaders are 9+4=11 feet from the bottom and then it is 24-1.5= 22.5 from spreaders to forestay? Is it a 2 spreader mast?

5. MarioCoccon

No that happen because I cut the mast to in my boat before was 40 I cut 3 feet and the spreaders go down

6. Windvang

Windvang Yacht Designer

I will look odd, but it will not be less strong, you will probably have problems with your genoa. I would recommend moving the spreaders up to abouth halfway between bottom and forestay. (6 feet?)

7. MarioCoccon

Thanks, what you think about put tangs between spreaders and uppers cable with runners. That can be use for tune the mast too wright??? and make more stronger. Ideas or comments?? Thanks again.

8. MikeR

MikeR Junior Member

Proceed with caution

Hello-

A rig should be designed to function as an entity. To make the type of changes you are describing could work out well, but just as often I've done repairs on rigs that have been owner revised that have turned out to be disasters.

If you have the time and opportunity, consult with a NA before undertaking something like this.

Cheers,

Mike

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.