Spinoa?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by tamkvaitis, Jan 2, 2006.

1. tamkvaitis

tamkvaitis sailor/amateur designer

Waht is the key of spinoa, seil used by abn amro boats?

2. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Tamkvaitis please clarify your point - which Genoa you mean, they have a dozen or so......

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Spinoa

The spinoa is mentioned in the newest issue of Sailing World but the person inteviewed, in an article on the VOR 70's, said it must remain top secret.....

4. usa2

usa2 Senior Member

"Righting moment is king," said Sanderson, of the virtues of maximum ballast. "It works in the America's Cup, it works on ORMA 60 trimarans, it works on Open 60 monohulls, so there's no reason for it not to work on a Volvo 70."

The other arrow in his quiver is the hybrid genoa headsail/spinnaker which he has dubbed the 'spinoa'. Crudely put, it has some of the fullness of a spinnaker but has a tight leading edge at the front and a cutaway trailing edge, like a jib."

taken from http://sport.telegraph.co.uk/sport/...l22.xml&sSheet=/sport/2005/11/22/ixsport.html

5. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Well, Holland has some very inventive sailmakers and such sails as being a hybrid form of Genoa and Spinnaker, we know for a long time. Just like tyres on racetracks you can form and compose sails for certain windangles or angles of attack. Nothing new with that. Give it a new name and you have a new sail.

I am a "Windward Sailor" so those sails have little or no advantage to me, wether going southbound or north, I have always to work against the wind, except for the way back. In such cases, when the wind is not too heavy, say under 25/30 knots, and comes in at an angle of 1600 hrs, you can use a flat cut 3/4 spi - that is not a full spi but cut at 3/4 of its size with a much flatter profile. On the roomy downwind courses such sails are pure boosters.

In any case, what is the secret here? Did I miss something?

6. usa2

usa2 Senior Member

i doubt there is a secret, its probably just a psychological ploy as asymmetrical spinnakers that fit the description of "spinoa" already exist, as D'Artois said. Its probably just a masthead genoa that is fuller in some areas than normal.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.