Smallest possible sailboat with 6' 3" of headroom

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by twincepto, Sep 7, 2009.

1. twincepto

twincepto New Member

I'm quite high... between 6'2" and 6'3" and it would be nice to be able to stand upright at least somewhere on the boat and especially at the galley.

I want a quite small boat and I'm wondering if there are any small (< 30' ) production sailboats that has this kind of headroom.

Also, I'm considering building a boat in the future... how small (in feet) do you think it will be possible to design a boat with this kind of headroom without it looking to crazy / ugly?

2. Seafarer24

Seafarer24 Sunset Chaser

I believe the Allegra 24 has 6'3" of headroom. You could definitely design something under 30' with that much headroom that would still look attractive.

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

New design option

I am six foot two, and specified 6 foot of headroom in a 28ft trailer/sailer boat I am having designed at the moment.

I can provide more details if it is of interest.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  4. twincepto

twincepto New Member

Seafarer24: The Allegra 24 is definately an option, and I also came across the Dana 24 while searching for information about the Allegra. The headroom is 6'1" though...

5. 58ketch

58ketch Junior Member

I believe some of the Grampians, Ericsons, Odays and Watkins , for production sailboats have that kind of headroom. I know my Oday 37 had around 6'4".

Then again,...you are simply too tall to be sailing.....:)

6. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

My 26 footer will give you 6'4" in the wheelhouse.
    Brent

7. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Tom Thumb 24

8. ririzarry

ririzarry New Member

With both my wife and I over 6', I'm curious to see what other recommendations come out of the thread.

Rob

9. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Just got the revised concept back from the NA. We are modifying the design for easier building.

I think it shows that a 6 ft headroom doesnt have to look like a box. I cant see the point of some small boat designs that crib standing room for "looks". Heck, if you cant live in the thing, what is the point ?

To quote his message
    "Aethetically, the topside height is a major barrier. This has been tackled by raising the chine as much as possible and balancing the styling plank lines. I think we are at a good compromise. "

Attached Files:

10. RHP

RHP Senior Member

The gaffers built by Martin Heard (Heard 23', 28' and 35') all have good headroom. I'm 6'7" so its a major issue for me too!

11. twincepto

twincepto New Member

Thanks for all the replies. So far I'm leaning towards building a modified Dana 24. By that I mean scaling the main dimensions up to lets say 25 or 26 feet, I'm havent tried doing this yet, but I'm guessing that will give me the kind of headroom I'm looking for. I'm not a boat designer but I'm assuming my scaled up version will share most of the positive seagoing characteristics the Dana 24 has.

First of all I have to clarify some things. Do I need any permission/agreement with the producer/designer of the Dana 24 to use their design more or less in the building of my one-off boat? I'm sure that I will change the design somewhat, but seeing that the Dana 24 is a great boat I don't want to screw that up.

Second, is there anyway for me to get a copy of the hull lines drawing for the Dana 24, as well as the sailplan and interior/deck layout?

12. Tanton

Tanton Senior Member

Headroom.

Not a production boat in the real sense of the term, but she has 6'-2" headroom. The crown on the roof can be modified easily enough.
    www.kayitsiz.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.