Small Trimaran; Ama design?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by science abuse, May 27, 2010.

1. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

As you can see from my pseudonym I am scarcely a youngster, but from my aeronautical and marine design background I have always believed in the axiom "Form follows function".
    As a result I really like the swept back bow and really dislike the ugly vertical stem. Bulbous, blocky or bloated shapes are anathema to me.
    As a boy I could never understand how the marine designers of the day could design submarines which looked like surface vessels instead of like sharks.
    After all even Jules Verne in the 19th century visualised his Nautilus to look like a fish. :eek:

2. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

If you're referring to WWII subs, they were primarily surface ships, and only submerged to attack or to escape.

By the end of the war, the Germans built the first sub designed to stay submerged most of the time. That was possible only because they had invented the snorkel, so could run submerged with its diesels on.

The first nuclear sub was the NAUTILUS, which was one of those cut in half with a center section, containing the reactors, added.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.