small offshore yacht design

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by wmonastra, May 21, 2008.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You still need to define you ideas and desires for an off shore yacht. Several have been shown here, many of which I don't consider very suitable for anything other then racing.

There are literally thousands of designs, by hundreds of designers. I have several, ranging from flat out, no holes bared racers to very wholesome cruisers, that can swim into hurricanes with very good survivability, with many cruisers in between.

There are many differences between racers, racer/cruisers, cruiser/racers, light cruisers, heavy cruisers, passage makers and harbor queens.

Developing a list of what you want, desire, just have to have and possibly what would be nice to have aboard is mandatory. Every yacht is a combination of dozens of concessions on the part of the designer/client, in an attempt to define the ideal vessel for the given set of parameters. A custom or semi-custom yacht for you will be no different. The other option is to use a set of stock plans and modify it to suit your needs as best as it's design limitations will permit.

2. wmonastra

wmonastra Junior Member

Tcubed, When you say low cost, how much we talking bout? what are the specs on this yacht??

Are there any made and sailing i can google??

W

3. wmonastra

wmonastra Junior Member

PAR, Whats the best way to contact you and i will give you my list (quite long) of wants and needs for my yacht. if others want to see as well, let me know and i will post it on here.

W

4. PAR

Click on my name, where you can send me an email.

5. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

I have plans for a 26 footer in steel . One has sailed to Australia from Canada and another has sailed thru the NW passage. The price of steel has dropped considerably lately. I also have plans for my own boat ,a 31 footer that I've sailed to Mexico and back to BC as well as two trips to Tonga and back to BC.
    Brent Swain
    brentswain38@yahoo.ca

6. Tcubed

Tcubed Boat Designer

The specs are loa 12 M , boa 2.67 M , disp 2.9 T.

Cost can be as expected for a straightforward home build epoxy/ plywood (no glass) setup.
    No, none exist yet. I fill in my spare time expanding my collection of designs.
    I will work on actual materials cost as i fill in the construction plans.

Before anyone gets too enthusiastic let me warn that this design has no standing headroom. I think standing headroom in uldb boats under 15 M is a real performance killer. It does have a aft double berth though. The keel , in common with all my high aspect ratio keel designs goes all the way through to the deckhead. I will not have one of my designs get added to the shockingly long list of boats with lost keels. It is meant to be all out performance on the high seas but accessible to the common man.

Attached Files:

7. PAR

The original poster want a "comfortable, but functional" cruiser with some performance potential. How does a ULDB with a bulb fin fit this minimalist design brief?

8. Tcubed

Tcubed Boat Designer

Comfort is a subjective term. At sea i never stand (not in a small fast boat) so standing headroom is optional. Of course others might feel differently and also in the harbour it is a different story. It is important to know therefore what percentage of time will be spent at sea compared to at anchor.

But to be honest i threw in the image fairly gratuitously, just because i happen to be working on it right now and thought it might be interesting and more or less in the area of the topic , not nescessarily "this is just what you want"

By the way minimalist it is (perhaps even too much so)

9. PAR

I read more of a focus on cruising, which means storage capacity, tankage, range, the ability to get into shoals, comfort at sea and in port, etc., from the original poster. His "quite long" list of requirements and desires, suggests a fairly well encompassing cruiser design, which many of the offers thus far (not all) couldn't seriously approach.

10. mrjo

mrjo Junior Member

Hi there, I would check out designs by ex Sth African designer Dudley Dix a Dix 34 built using radius chine ply/epoxy is a boat that can take you around the globe in comfort and speed, it is easy and relatively cheap to build, I would be very surprised if you don't like the look of it too. Good luck,

11. wmonastra

wmonastra Junior Member

Good News..Ive now narrowed down what im looking for.

Im wanting a mini transat yacht (design) but slightly bigger. Other than making a few minor changes to the interior that's what im looking for.

MRJO, ive had alook at the site you suggested and its a great looking yacht, the only info i found on the dix site was on a boat called the didi 34.Was that the one you were thinking i look at??

I couldnt find one called the dix 34.

12. mrjo

mrjo Junior Member

Yep sorry I did mean the didi 34, quite a few being built by amateurs the world over as they perform well and even though light displacement still have a good motion due to the fact they are not too beamy, if you go with something closer to a mini transat you won't be so comfortable on a passage, anyway the choice is yours but I wouldn't procrastinate too long on a design choice or make too many changes as the building will of course take much longer than anticipated! good luck, Jo

13. Boston

Boston Previous Member

nice boat

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.