sloop or cat rig?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Andy P, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Andy P

Andy P Junior Member

What is better in limited area development classes?

Would an A class cat or int Moth be faster with a jib?

or an int Canoe faster with mainsail only?

I remember the formula 40 multis used their storm jibs ( ie of minimum size because they had to have a jib )

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Main only

In discussing rigs for high speed sailing with Barry Spanier- Gaastra rig designer and designer for the rigs on Long Shot- he is convinced the fastest rig for high speed sailing is a main only camber induced square top rig, preferably unstayed.
    Eric Sponberg and I are using such a rig on our 14.6' foiler.Our 130sq. ft. rig uses a variation of a wishbone boom that doesn't work like a "normal" wishbone. We use it specifically to allow the forward 30% or so of the sail to be brought right down to the deck-while allowing good clearance for the crew. It has an athwhartship structural member immediately aft of the forward part of the sail to which the mainsheet is attached. The midboom mainsheet operates on a very wide traveller so there is no need for a separate vang. I think a rig like this might be ideal on an IC..

3. Packeteer

Packeteer Junior Member

don't suppose we could get a picture?

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

picture

No picture yet-we're still trying to raise the money to finish the design and manufacture it. However, I've built a model that illustrates the wishbone quite well- maybe a picture of that would work for now.I'll see what I can do..
    -----------------------
    UPDATE: I've got three pix I can e-mail anyone interested in seeing the rig etc on the aeroSKIFF foilier. The wishbone and reason for it can be seen fairly well. The pix are of a somewhat detailed model of the boat. Unfortunately, I can't post them here.
    lorsail@webtv.net

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.