Single trapeze dinghy plan?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Whitefeather, Nov 30, 2005.

1. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Steve - what have you been smoking this week - and where can I get some?

Worth building just to see the look on BAGF's face...

Steve

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Sail!

Whitefeather,you've indicated you're interested in a single handed trapeze boat-well, in my opinion, the Swift Solo is something for you to seriously consider. It is a three sail boat but you don't have to use the asymetrical spinnaker until you're ready for it. An interesting feature of the Swift is that the main and jib are controlled by a single line(sheet) instead of two as on most main+jib boats. The Solo offers you the opportunity to build the boat and take your time learning to sail it-adding features as your skills improve. When I was much younger I had the HUNGER for a trapeze singlehander-I know the feeling. You say you live in the Pacific Northwest-well Bram Dally who designed the Solo lives in Seattle and there are EIGHT other Solo's registered in the State of Washington.
    I strongly urge you to contact Bram Dally or one of the other Solo guys and get a ride. There are also THREE Contenders in the Washington area so you could track one of those down and try it. I tried to find out how many IC's were in the area but couldn't-I'm sure Steve Clark could help with that.
    Try not to be put in a position to pick ANY boat without sailing it first! Too much time ,effort and money is involved; it would be a worthwhile investment on your part to do whatever it takes to sail a Swift Solo, a Contender and an IC before making your decison.
    -----------
    Jim, things are changing over here........

3. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Charged Particle

Come on Steve, it doesn't look that bad!
    There is some stuff around the back end that didn't come out right, but that just means that anyone who tries to actually build it from a pdf file is going to hate themselves.
    The wave piercing bow is just an attempt to play a fat cat style card.
    I know your Dad used to say that staying dry was the whole point of a boat, so perhaps we should look at this as a sort of alternative energy powered flutter-board for fast swimming.

Baggie's already with the program.
    SHC

4. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Steve, I'm not saying it looks bad - quite the contrary, it has a certain in-your-face iconoclastic streak (kinda like the designer?)
    Dad's comments on staying dry could (should?) be mis-read, if desired, to mean that a boat is there to stop you sinking. If you had ever tried to sail one of his early glass designs in a Solent chop you would know that "staying dry" was a relative term :)
    Steve

5. mattotoole

mattotoole Senior Member

Good advice.

The Contender is a neat boat, but vanishingly rare in the US. I'm surprised there are even three in the same state! In this sense the Solo is a little bit ahead with 8 boats (!!!), besides probably having benefitted from 30+ years of dinghy development since the Contender was designed.

I did try a Contender once, as a teenager in Australia. It was a great boat, but even then/there hardly anyone to race with. Australians are understandably very proud of the Contender. Too bad it joined the ranks of terrific boats that never quite caught on, especially as an Olympic boat vs. the Finn (a dumb boat if ever there was one).

The IC might be a great choice too, especially if there's a fleet in your area.

6. Whitefeather

Whitefeather Junior Member

Design

So, how complex of a hull shape are you thinking of (how many panels)? How similiar would the construction method be to that of a stitch and glue kayak? The kayak I build was a skin-on-frame, but I am somewhat familiar with S&G construction. Also, if I were to cut costs anywhere I could (without cutting corners, of course, just using plastic instead carbon fiber and other such things), how much would it cost to get it in the water?

David

PS:
    Was that sarcastic:?:

7. Steve Clark

My first rule in thinking about quick little bats is that if they are light, the don't have to be complicated. The fact that keeping things simple helps them stay light is a bonus.
    In this case the hull is a simple V bottom, a bit under 16' long with a waterline beam of about 40" Topside are vertical, but there are wings that extend the overall beam to just under 6'
    I envision the hull being built out of 4 and 5 mm plywood over blue foam frames.
    The wings would be built out of plywood with bluefoam core.
    The foredeck would be cambered to lend a bit of elegance to an 0otherwide square program. There is no cockpit per se, but the aft half of the deck is veed down. Around here good quality Occume plywood costs about $45 a sheet, annd it will take 7 so sheets to build this thing. Two gallons of epoxy and, six sheets of building insulation and a roll of 2" glass tape. So direct material costs for the hul are in the order of $500. Then you can start on the expensive stuff. There is potentially 3 k in making this thing into a nice sailboat unless you can find a cashe of good junk behind the Seattle 14 fleet.
    So you are in for most of 4k. More than the cost of a good used Laser and there are servicable ICs for less than that. Soyou would do this because you like the process not as a cheap way to get on the water.
    SHC

8. CT 249

CT 249 Senior Member

Go Contender or 3.7.

Contender was initially designed for ply construction (with "soft" chine). About as stable as a Laser (I think, it's been a long while since I sail one) but with a bigger rig and a good performer in a breeze. Fun and challenging to sail.

Many very experienced sailors find ICs too hard although they are wonderful boats.

Steve's new beast sounds very interesting, though.

9. mattotoole

mattotoole Senior Member

I'll go along with that. Contenders are definately lively, but well-mannered. ICs are a bit finicky.

--

10. Whitefeather

Whitefeather Junior Member

Dinghy

Hmm. Well, I had no idea that it would cost that much to build and "Rig" (I hope that is the right word:confused: ) a trapeze dinghy. I have been looking into sharpie style boats, and will probably actually build one of those, as 4k is sort of-well, entirely completely-out of my price range. So, sorry I wasted everybodies time, and thanks for the good input.

David

11. Steve Clark

A perfectly servicable IC can be had for $1000 in Mass.
    Another is available for $1500 in Chicago.
    About as cheapas you will ever find for something that goes quick and works.
    If you are near Vancouver, there are people who can help you out.
    SHC

12. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

13. Hans Friedel

Hans Friedel Senior Member

Steve Clark

Do you think the wave piercing bow would be a good thing on a Surf ski or fast seakayak?

They looks cool but also a bit like a sea weed colector

Hans Friedel

14. Stephen Ditmore

I like the double volume of a baidarka, a slightly bulbous shape at the waterline, and some fullness near the deck, but fine between, resulting in a slight hollow in the topsides of the forward sections.

Attached Files:

15. Stephen Ditmore

In the world of commercial catamarans this is referred to as a Z-Bow

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.