settled on a boat to build can i put a junk sail on this boat?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Trevornew, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Trevornew

Trevornew Junior Member

Can i put a junk sail on this boat?
    Will i have to move anything around?
    Would this be a good boat for a junk sail?
    i sailed with a junk sail fell in love with it and so the boat i build will have one i just don't know enough to tell if i can just simply sub one in or not.
    Thanks
    Trevor

2. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

What boat?

Yes, you are likely to have to move the mast, if yo don't want a jib flying before your junk rig. It will most likely have to be moved forward.

You might also have to consider Vertical Center of Gravity issues, as the weights of the sturdy yard and all those battens is considerably heavier than a more conventional rig.

But it is also much quicker and easier to reef.

The critical issue here is that the higher VCoG, with the sail all the way up, may reduce the range of stability (depending on its design) to such an extent that it may not recover from a knock down.

3. Trevornew

Trevornew Junior Member

4. bistros

bistros Previous Member

Contact the designer to ask his thoughts. Modifying an existing design is always a Frankenstein proposal - grafting unmatched parts without an idea if it will work as expected. Since you are building from scratch, why not get the job done properly and design a boat for the rig.

Money spent on design and engineering is NEVER wasted - in the long run it will probably make your project cheaper, better performing and you much happier with the result. You can spend a little money up front to get it right, or spend a lot more trying to fix what is wrong after you are done.

Talk to the boat's designer, or talk with a reputable naval architect about your wishes - you will be far happier and save one hell of a lot of money in the long run. Make this a successful Ready, Aim, Fire project instead of a Ready, Fire, Aim disaster.

Your money, your choice.

--
    Bill

5. Trevornew

Trevornew Junior Member

thanks for the info that makes a lot of sense. Any ideas on books that might help me? i'm in washington any naval architects you know around here? that i could talk to.

6. bistros

bistros Previous Member

Dudley Dix is in Virginia Beach. Lots of the folks here are designers in their own right.

I'd post a design brief here in a new thread, indicating your requirements, likes & dislikes and intended usage and see what comes of it. Also, an indication of budget, time constraints and (self) build plan would help them a lot.

I would not make anything but meeting your true needs a prerequisite - just because we "like" something doesn't mean it is the right choice for us. Let the designer(s) all present their interpretations of what will make you the happiest client.

--
    Bill

7. Trevornew

Trevornew Junior Member

awesome thank you very much for the help.

8. diwebb

diwebb Senior Member

Have a look at Hasler and McLeods book Practical Junk Rig. This will give most of the information needed to gauge if a boat is suitable for the rig. As suggested previously go to the designer and get his response. The Amigo design looks as if it would be a suitable candidate for a junk rig ,but space will need to be made for the mast below decks, as a junk rig has a freestanding mast that needs to be keel stepped.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.