Seeking advice re: 27 - 33 foot offshore capabale sloops

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by easternjoe, Jun 14, 2005.

1. MarioCoccon

MarioCoccon Senior Member

Hi MarioCoccon again, you also can tried to find a Alied Sea Wind 30 the first boat of fiber in do the around the world. My father have one and the boat sail like crazy go upwind very very good and its a full keel!, reaching average with 15knts of wind close to 7 knts and down wind average 6 to 8 but rolling a little bit. The boat weight 10800 pounds has a good record of capsize IMPORTANT have a 6/2 hight of head room short mast its a ketch a forget sorry, very impresive boat you can find more info on the web and they have a club also. Tom Hanks have one the club say that his is the one more beautyfull. You can find one of them from 30to 70 depends the condition.

2. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

Dear Eastern:

I'd look at some designs intended for do it yourselfers. These, you can have proffesionally built for more modest amounts because time is money. A sheet plywood, steel, or aluminum design would probably be be a lot less expensive than a nice rounded hull because it would cost less. This is because it would take less time to set up and build. If your boat builder charges $20 an hour, which I can't immagine him charging less and making a decent living, and your boat takes 2000hrs to build, your budget is pretty much shot before spend even one dime on matterials.

I would imagine your boat would have to take 1500hrs or less to build if it were to have any hope of coming within budget. And time to build is almost as much a matter of the boat's displacement as it is its shape. Jay Benford has some nice fin keel 'sailing dory' designs. One is 26' (which I know has been sailed offshore) and the other is 32'.
    I would imagine the 32' one could come within your budget due to its relatively light displacement and simple shape.

Also, a simpler shape boat is almost always easier to repair than a more complex one. Yves Tantom has also done some nice simple designs. You might look up George Beuhler as well. His boats are on the heavy side, but they are built like tanks.

Best of luck

Bob

3. Seafarer24

Seafarer24 Sunset Chaser

I'd also recomend you look at the Seafarer models from the mid-to-late 70s. The 29 and 31 MkII in particular come to mind. The late-70s/early-80s 30' Swiftsure is more of a near-shore racer/cruiser that I wouldn't recomend for extensive cruising.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.