Searching for VH15

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Tim Judge, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Tim Judge

Tim Judge Tim J

I am loking for information and possible acquisition of Vineyard Haven 15 (21'LOA) designed by Erford Burt and built by the Martha's Vineyard Shipyard. I am hoping to find an open cockpit version (they made two..coffin cockpit for racing, open for comfort), in either fiberglass or wood. I have located one, but am hoping to learn about others out there. Gannon and Benjamin restored one a couple of years back and you can see photos of Antelope on their website (gannonandbenjamin.com). Any info appreciated.

2. jdanca

jdanca New Member

I have a VH15 fiberglass originally built with the comfort cockpit. The cockpit was changed to a racing cockpit by a previous owner. I think there was only two made with the comfort cockpit mine being one of them. Phil Hale at the MVY Shipyard Has information on these boats. I have a line drawing and a copy of the sales pamphlet from the shipyard. This past spring I saw three in the water when the shipyard launched my boat and there was talk of at least five that sail out of Vineyard Haven.

3. Tim Judge

Tim Judge Tim J

Great boat...thanks for the reply

I raced VH15s when I was a kid out of the VHYC, though they were being phased out in favor of 470's and Solings...very nice boats, but not VH15s. So fun to sail, so balanced and pleasing to the eye...that era insipred great designs. If you are ever thinking of letting her go....I know where she will have a great home. Afterall, with classic boats we never really own them, rather we act as stewards keeping them for the next generation.

So what hull number is yours and what is her name. I have a friend from my VHYC sailing days who is putting together a history of the fleet with their daughter...would you be willing to speak with them?

Thanks....Tim

4. jdanca

jdanca New Member

Her name is now Pleiades and the hull number is 39. Yes I would be willing to speak to your friends about these sailboats. I worked to get Pleiades seaworthy
    last winter and got her in the water for the first time 15+yrs in the spring.
    Very fun to sail! My kids are learning to sail and would like to see them move into the 15 at some point,I have no plans of letting her go. I am in touch with the previous owner ,Who still has a VH15 named Mockingbird ,and he may be able to help with some historical facts on these boats.

Thanks.... John