screened in cockpit

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Ctskip, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Ctskip

Ctskip Junior Member

I've seen enclosed cockpits but never any screened in ones.I'd like to do the job myself, but the Admiral says no. I'd still like to look into doing it myself. The bimini covers 100% of the cockpit.There is already a heavy duty rubber/fiberglass like screen that snaps onto the rear of the bimini and hangs down below the coaming on the insides of the stern rail. It remains unfinished but just needs the snaps and some sunbrella sewn along the bottom edge for the snaps. Where can I get a sample of simulair screen and is it something I should tackle and will it look professional? Who would something like this?

Keep it up,
    Ctskip

2. mariner 40

mariner 40 Junior Member

How long has the present cover not been completed?

3. Ctskip

Ctskip Junior Member

I would say the bimini has been on for about 5 yrs and the rear screen has not been used at all.I've googled heavy duty screens and requested samples from one. There has been one company that they say they have a one size fits all. And they wany almost $400 for it. They also say they do custom work.I believe that I can also do it but just don't have the materials.Now If I could find the materials.That would make up my mind in a hurry. I just cant stand the flys. Why do you ask the age? Is there any product I should be putting on the bimini to extend its life?

4. mariner 40

mariner 40 Junior Member

No, just wondered why the admiral wanted someone else to do it, now I know!!!

5. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Why screen? Maybe a automabile glass film like SOLARGUARD would block light but maintain visiblitiy?:)

WDH

6. Ctskip

Ctskip Junior Member

I can't stand the flys and other assorted bugs that fly into my face and on my food and are just wanting a piece of me.I also like sleeping outside in the cockpit.

7. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Oh that screen:) Try self made from bamboo?

8. mariner 40

mariner 40 Junior Member

Ct
    Let me know how the project comes out. I am rebuilding a project boat and will need something on mine.

9. J.D.Hogg

J.D.Hogg Junior Member

Welly, how can one make bamboo into a screen tight enough for mosquitoes?

ctskip, Are we talking about a Catamaran (Cat - Skipper)? If not, you might consider a mosquito net hung from the boom.

Otherwise make a paper pattern and take it to an apholsterer with the screen (Lowes, Home depot), they sould be able to supply the vinyl, canvas, snaps, zippers, ect...

Or am I missing something?

10. Ctskip

Ctskip Junior Member

I'm from Connecticut and my name is skipper I call myself Skip ct is for connecticut . I'm out of state for a coulp of years so its for ID purposes only.I have a 32ft. mono hull with a bimini and want to keep the bugs out. Half the screen is done already. My wife like your idea of the net. Thanks.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.