Scratch Repair

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by quicksail, Apr 7, 2005.

1. quicksail

quicksail Junior Member

I have just purchased a boat that has some deep scratches I would like to fix. It is a laser and it has the usual nics and scrapes along the gunnal and a few on the deck. I am wondering what would be the best way to repair these scarthes.

I was thinking I would grind them out with a die grinder/dremel to get a clean edge. Then I would let it dry out for a few days. Now, the question is what to do next? I was thinking about painting the scratches with expoxy barrier coat like Interlux 2000 and then fill it with a puddy. Then I would paint over the area with gelcoat and sand and buff. I starting to second guess myself when applying epoxy paint and the polyester gelcoat and poly bond. I don't have the experience to know if this is a good idea. I want to seal these scratches so they don't take on any water. Can anyone out there give me some advice as to what I should do?

Thanks, look forward to the replies.

Christian

2. Karsten

Karsten Senior Member

If your grinding only removed gelcoat and the fibres are undamaged then you only have to replace the gelcoat. Just apply gelcoat and cover it with sticky tape while its wet. Squeeze out any excess gelcoat and wipe it away. Safes lots of sanding.

Good luck,
    Karsten

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.