Sanding/painting vs core repair on a Pearson Ensign

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by christok, Aug 11, 2013.

1. christok

christok New Member

Hello, we've recently required a Pearson Ensign with a solid deck and hull but in need of a serious refinishing.

We've also got an opportunity to buy another Ensign with a soft foredeck but otherwise in very good condition. It's got the original gelcoat, with no cracks.

The question is, which project is going to cost less and cause us the least amount of heartache - sanding and painting an entire boat, or replacing the soft core?

I'm told that if we cut around the rail, we can remove the entire deck in one piece, replace the core, and re-install the original deck. This would be an attractive option because it would minimize the fiberglass work we'd have to do.

On the other hand, I've been told that a core replacement of this magnitude will be a nightmare.

Does anyone have experience with Ensign deck core repair or other insight into this?

Thanks very much.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Refinishing a boat is less technical and much easier than a core replacement. You can heavily sand the gelcoat and paint with a good quality alkyd enamel for a pretty good finish. A gallon of industrial enamel in only about $30.00

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

There's a few previous threads about an Ensign in Texas that has gone through what you're looking at. (> http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sailboats/deck-my-pearson-ensign-32174.html <) is one of them. Initially in the thread a former forum member proved his inability to play well with others (he disappears after a page or so), but there's a lot of information in this thread about what you're up against.

4. christok

christok New Member

Thanks

Thank you for taking the time to write. I will definitely take a look at that thread and update this one when we decide how to proceed