salvaged v hull fishing boat as main trimaran hull

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by markstrimaran, Dec 7, 2014.

1. markstrimaran

markstrimaran Senior Member

Going fishing soon

Making progress. Spring temperatures are finally here.

Attached Files:

2. markstrimaran

Poor man's value bagging. It reduces sanding alot. I glassed it with two layers of 18 oz bi axal. For a 1/8 th wall thickness.
    Glassed both layers at 50 degrees F. Then fired up the heater to about 90. To kick in the resin.

3. markstrimaran

Trampoline to Aka mounting.

I have built up 1/4" thick. The 2" X 9' ledge just below the 2" gunwale pipe . The gunwale pipe is 1/8" thick. The original hull was an 1/8 too 3/16 thick. I now have a 1/2" thick very solid gunwale side. A steel rib is tied in at the center. Basically I have two 4.5' sections that will be holding the stress of the trampoline.
    I built the tramps from a backyard trampoline. It has a bolt rope sewn on the Ama side. I sewn the "D" rings from the original on the other 3 side. I am planning on using a 5/16 line thru the "D" rings. Drilling holes thru the 1/2" thick gunwales just below the pipe. Then a fiberglass rod to keep the line secured.

4. markstrimaran

Trampoline pictures

The orange fish net has to go. It OK at keeping a person from falling overboard. Made a nice fishing pole holder. Cheap to make and adapted to canoes.

Attached Files:

5. markstrimaran

old tramp

It had two " pvc" pipes with a rope going through it. The ropes were connected with smaller line to ratcheting levers. So the ropes could be very tight. But the poly net was just too stretchy. The steel cross brace was added to reduce the free span from 9 feet to 4.5 feet.

6. markstrimaran

Ama mounts welded u bolts

Stainless steel u bolts with 4" extensions that wedge into the 3/8" lip were the hull are joined. If it does not work as intended it will at least allow me to decide the best location for a sawing and fiberglass mount. It seams strong enough. The only concern I have is long term trailer while the Ama are in highway mode.
    Then a transporting steel brace should be easy to weld on if needed.

Attached Files:

7. markstrimaran

Ama mounts

Finally got the boat out of the garage, just in time for a week of rain. It has been too cool to paint. Started the Ama mounts. The elevation of the ama's can be raised up some and be tilted with out any rewelding. The mount posts are 2" × 1.5" fitted into a 2" X 2" id receiver. This allows for alignment adjustment after floating. When set will drill a hole through the male fitting and bolt. The arms are removable. Built in pieces that fit together for simplicity.

Attached Files:

8. markstrimaran

I mounted the 18' amas so they over extend the 14' center hull by about 4 feet. As last summer with canoes I was coming close to pitch poleing. With them mounted farther back. The stern would lift out off the water and the bow would sink with the Genoa in a strong wind. My thought is to have more buoyancy towards the bow.

9. markstrimaran

trampoline

Happy that the trampoline is tight enough to walk on with good footing. I sewn it this winter from a back yard trampoline I picked up on ebay. The slide part is an old mast the is bolted between the Ama arms.

Attached Files:

10. markstrimaran

steel structure.

The Ama arms will be lowered and raised with a worm gear winch. The cable goes thru the roll bar and fair lead the pad eye on the arm. I have thoughts on moving the winch to the mid ship roll bar. As I would have a better pull angle and it might save some head bumps.

The pipe standoff is the mast step. The mast has a hinge that bolts to the top and lays down flush with the cabin for travel.
    I am considering adding a aft strut back stay anchor. As a means to increase bow stay tension. It will also serve as a winch pully location to raise and lower the mast.

I like the idea of being river capable which means 6' bridge clearance. Also with full cabin soft top on. It might be difficult to walk the mast up.

Attached Files:

11. markstrimaran

Going to the lake tomorrow for a float test.

Busy day. Posted some pictures.

Attached Files:

12. markstrimaran

First lake trial

Out riggers Draft about 4 inches. Very stable and the center hull is very rigid.

13. markstrimaran

Went out mast less

The bow port side Ama mount needs reworked as it wants to pop off when going into transport mode. The mast winch handle needs moved in a couple of inches as to speed up hoisting the mast. 10 minutes up 1 minute down with drill.

Attached Files:

14. markstrimaran

Mizzenmast ? back stay spar. winch boom. blue fin tuna davit

Going with a mast head rig. The black mast spar raises the mast and serves as a back stay. It is bolted on to the stern cross beam. I made a steel insert. That is riveted and epoxied to the spar.

Attached Files:

15. markstrimaran

sails up.

Need too re cut the foot on the main stay sail.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.