salvaged v hull fishing boat as main trimaran hull

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by markstrimaran, Dec 7, 2014.

1. markstrimaran

markstrimaran Senior Member

main hull aka

The ice melted a few weeks ago and went fishing monohull style. I opted for a fishing boat aka mostly for early spring walleye fishing on the river. It's a compromise but one boat with multiple uses solves the parking lot problem.
    I also need a cabin big enough for camping on. It's 4 feet wide 14'6 feet long. It sill has resale value when I decide to build a 30' trimaran

Attached Files:

2. rayinok

rayinok Junior Member

Your Trimaran project.

Hi!
    I understand the floatability thing. I have used 2 part foam also. A thought. Around here, closed cell styrofoam is used for floatable piers. I got a huge lot of it, a pickup and a large trailer full, used, for $25.00 several years ago. I am planning to cut it to rough shape and , place it in a hull cavity, and then either leave it alone of use the 2 part foam to cement it into place. Using canoes for the amas is great as long as you have them unsinkable. Catamaran hulls have a lot better form to them tho.
    Keep me posted.
    Ray

3. markstrimaran

early stage pictures.

Some photos. The metal in the first picture is the frame of the canoe catamaran. Used as a jig to match up the canoes "amas" to the folding crossbeams.

Attached Files:

4. rayinok

rayinok Junior Member

Thank you for your reply. I wish to see the finished results. I will post pictures as I proceed.
    Thanks
    Ray in OK

5. markstrimaran

Stern mast step and cross beam and back stay plate

The sticks are a mast rigging "CAD prototype" The more I learn about what works.
    The other photo is the cross beam. Rear mast step. "I built in a forward mast step also, redundancy for a aft mast failure.
    Fiberglass over 14 Guage 1.5x 3 steel tube. Motor mount is on the port side. Back stay plate/aft swing keel hinge has four 1/2" bolts, going thru the transom.

Attached Files:

6. rayinok

rayinok Junior Member

Thank you for the pictures. Keep me posted.
    Thanks
    Ray in OK

7. markstrimaran

Cross members

The stern cross member is tacked together and welded. I used steel because it is strong and easily adapted to retrofitting. This will never see salt water. So corrosion is not much of a concern.
    I did primer and paint the steel before glassing, and filled all the gaps with micro balloons filler. One note of use painting cold steel traps condensation. 20 years ago I repaired rusted fender on a truck with this method. It lasted for 10 years. On gravel and salted roads.

Attached Files:

8. markstrimaran

front cross beam

Welding all the hinges on straight and adding as many things as I can think of before glassing.
    The picture with the canoes shows the old red painted rub rails. I built it as I was using it. Mostly due to my limited budget money. It was a power boat only from April to July last year.
    When I first sailed it. The sails had ropes and D rings for rigging. My first sail was a blue poly tarp. Zero up wind ability but I was sailing.

Attached Files:

9. markstrimaran

flying a main as a jib

I have a much better sail inventory now. I am still flying a main sail backwards as a jib. I got it with my 26' Genoa and was going to resale it. I thought I would hoist it for a better picture and It fit my mast triangle perfectly. Works well enough for my inner stay sail. It does not go up wind very well but it will slightly. Its Main purpose is for really windy days as it does not power up well.
    The huge Genoa is my favorite for calm days. The foot is as long as the whole boat. Had to add a 3' bow pole to rig it.

The cutter rig picture is of 2 main sails rigged as stay sails. My motor died that day. Carburetor problem. It took me 5 hours to go 1 mile all up wind back to the ramp. In white caps.

The jib sail is now always kept onboard. As it is my only up wind sail that will work in rough weather.

Attached Files:

10. rayinok

rayinok Junior Member

Greetings from OK.
    Looks good. Keep me posted. I am anxious to get back to work on my projects.
    Will keep you posted.
    Thanks!
    Ray in OK

11. markstrimaran

working on the inner hull and trampoline anchor

Starting too warm up again. Finally got some composites work started.

Attached Files:

12. markstrimaran

The top ledge " the fresh glass" gunwales

The trampoline will mount just below the 2 "OD x.14 thick fiberglass gunwale. The ledge is about 3" wide it should stiffen the sides as I am going for 1/4 " maybe more I will test it out after it cures. The total span is 9.5 ' with a steel rib in the middle. The foam core is not structurally solid. Mostly a mold for the glass work. The inner hull and outer hull will be box together. Along with a glass floor. My mast for stay tension is going to be a problem with out a very rigid hull.

13. markstrimaran

The orange outdoor extension cords are for electronic needs. Sticking out on the port side.

14. markstrimaran

foam vs fiberglass panels

My original idea was to preform fiberglass for the inside hull but due to cold weather and lack of space. I ended up with polystyrene 1" as a foam mold. As it was easy to form with the 50 things in the way that something solid would have to be cut and re cut too fit.

15. rayinok

rayinok Junior Member

good job!

Please keep me posted on your work.
    Thanks
    Ray in OK

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.