Salt 19

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Dessied, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Dessied

Dessied New Member

I just got a sailboat from an auction and was wondering how I would go about finding it's age. It was built by Salt Marine Inc in Ft. Lauderdale Florida. The boat is titled SALT-19, I have a hull number as well. I have looked on boat sale sites but have not seen one like this. Any assistance and direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

2. BVI Jon

BVI Jon Junior Member

Look on the extreme upper starboard part of the transom. If there are numbers there, then the last two numbers are the year of manufacture (there may be a letter afterwards). The preceeding numbers/letters refer to manufacturer, serial #, etc.

If there are none, then it was probabably built before the Feds required them; mid seventies, I believe.

3. Brian Amato

Brian Amato New Member

I bought one, brand new, in '77 from Salt Marine when I lived in Ft. Lauderdale. Anyone who wants to talk about the company, post it here or email me at: Bamato@invacare.com. They also built a boat called "Tangerine" which I had a small role in....sorry to say :)

4. Hope

Hope New Member

Just found this thread.
    I own a 1978 Salt 19. I rescued it from someone's front yard and spent a few years refitting it.

Any information you have on the boat would be appreciated. Thanks!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.