sailboat race

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by raymond, Nov 25, 2005.

1. raymond

raymond Junior Member

Hi, I am taking a distant learning course right now and need to prepare a lot of paper work. I want to find out some race committee to get a list of racing rules and condition. Is there anyone could given me some input. I am looking for name of committee which perfer to have a website so that I can browse .

Thanks a lot

raymond:rolleyes:

2. JPC

JPC Junior Member

Raymond,

I'm not quite sure what kind of information you are looking for, but it sounds like the info you need would be in the "Notice of Race" and related documents that are produced for any major regatta. These are available from yacht club websites - in fact, if you check the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club site, you'll find the Notice of Race for the recent China Coast Cup and Hainan race -and perhaps some others. Clubs that run regular -weekly- racing also have standing instructions that you might find useful see www.cyc.org for example.

Other notices can be found if you know the names of the races/clubs (I'll let you do the searches!) - some good races with published notices are: Newport-Bermuda Race (Storm Trysail Club), Transpac, Pacific Cup, Heineken Regatta. -all of these are on the web.

If, instead, you're looking for the 'rules of racing' which govern right-of-way, permited advertising, etc., you can find these on the US Sailing site. Most of the Notices will reference these rules, as well as rules published by ISAF and RORC -some searches with those names and other words like "sail" and "race" should get you there.

Enjoy,
    JPC

3. raymond

raymond Junior Member

JPC,

Thanks for your information. I'm acturally looking at the rules of racing. This will help me to understand how it affects the interior space planing. The regulation may have some restriction on how it appears to be..... and what are the items need to fit inside in order to full fill the criteria.

I feel great to have someone based in Hong Kong and would like to share his opinion with me.

cheers mate

Raymond

4. JPC

JPC Junior Member

Raymond,

Have a look under the "Rules" menu at http://www.sailing.org/ for a number of PDF documents available.

and at the RORC Special Regulations available for download at http://www.rorc.org/specialregulations/index.php

Other than certain requirements for seaworthiness which will have some effect on bulkheads etc., the rules that would affect interior considerations are not particularly explicit -to my recollection- the closest it gets is to list necessary equipment. -but admitedly, I have always been checking them to ensure my own and my boat's compliance rather than directing a build.

The sailing scene is considerably reduced here, but there's still a great group and a small, but remarkable fleet (two former Pyewacket's, e.g.) - you'll find plenty of activity!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.