Sailboat Identification

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by jedistud, Feb 22, 2009.

1. jedistud

jedistud Family Boat Guy

I bought this boat off of a lean sale with almost no identification information at all. I have no way of tracing the previous owners to ask them. I am definitely a novice with sailboats so can anyone help me ID this boat, please?

The only info I have is the title says the builder is SPC and the model is SPCN. I wouldn't be surprised if that's not accurate. These are the measurements on the boat. Please forgive my lack of appropriate terminology.

Length - 16'
    Width - 6'
    Mast length - 22'

Please see attached pictures of the boat. The label on the stainless steel hardware is "Rostan Australia".

Thank you for your help!

Attached Files:

2. El Sea

El Sea Junior Member

1. A HIN (Hull Identification Number) is located on the stern port of where the rudder would hang. (it is somewhat visible in your photo) You may be able to register the vessel with this info.

2. Ronstan is a manufacture of marine hardward, not a boat builder

3. There should be a serial number on the trailer, again helpful when registration takes place.

4. You have CF numbers on the bow area which may prove helpful when you register your latest find

5. The blue circle with the reddish sail cloth may help in identifing the make of boat

3. alan white

alan white Senior Member

It's a Spirit Industries boat, built in Winchester, California. Every boat after 1972 should have an MIC number beginning with a letter designation, usually on the transom. The letter designation can be looked up at the Coast Guard website.
    Just Google "Coast Guard boat identification".

4. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Then again, nothing comes up under spirit sailboats in Winchester California, so...

5. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

The HIN tells you the boat was manufactured by Universal Plastic Products in Houston, Texas. It is Hull #50, built in February of 1973. The company went out of business in 1977.

Maybe a google search of the manufacturer will turn up the model name for you.

Attached Files:

• UPP.jpg
      UPP.jpg
      File size:
      49 KB
      Views:
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.