Sail maker

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by dskira, Oct 2, 2011.

1. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Does someone knows a sail maker willing to make a sail in cotton?
    I will greatly appreciate. I spend a lot of time trying to find one, but after hitting a wall, the forum is my ultimate resource, so I hope some one, some where knows one of these sail maker.
    I know the material is difficult to come by due to the loosely thread of the duck and other canvas, but I think for that I have a lead. And certainly if a sail maker is still doing cotton sail, that person will knows who makes the material.
    Thank you all
    Daniel

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Good luck, Daniel. I don't know anybody with such skills.

3. hoytedow

4. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Try talking to Todd Bradshaw over at woodenboat forums.

1 person likes this.
  5. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Thank you both.
    I will try Todd. Good idea.
    Thanks Hoyt, I will try your search.
    Daniel

6. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Hi Daniel,

It's a bit far, so just for info....

In Holland it's difficult to find a sailmaker who still has sources for the original Egyptian cotton cloth that's traditionally used for hand-finished sails on their traditional flat and round bottomed boats. Still there are some, but I don't know their names. I do know Punterwerf Wildeboer offers cotton sails as an option, so they know a sailmaker who is able to make them and has a source for the material.

Sail maker and rigger Jan Schokker has the following info about the subject on his site, scroll down to ‘‘Zeildoek voor ronde en platbodemschepen’’

I'll post a Google translation in the qoute with some minor translation corrections by myself.....
    They do have an alternative which is almost indistinguishable from cotton, scroll the above link down to ‘‘Clipper Canvas’’

Again a Google translation in the qoute with some minor translation corrections by myself.....
    If you like the 'Clipper Canvas' I hope you can find it in the US.

For availability and general info, the manufacturer Heathcoat fabrics ---> Richard Hayward brand.

You also could ask Jan Schokker for info about this matirial, they're nice people, I'm sure they're willing to share information.

And... nice to see you back Daniel [​IMG]

Good luck!
    Angel

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  7. Angélique

His profile there also holds a regular e-mail address, and you can give him a call here or here.

Cheers,
    Angel

8. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

9. Angélique

1 person likes this.
  10. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Yes I know him, his sail loft is at 5 miles from my house. I asked him but he do not make real cotton sails anymore, he repairs them.
    Every modern so-call cotton feeling are very good, but they all have the same drawback: they can't stand the sun.
    And they don't have the magic feeling of the cotton.
    Oceanus the same. I really love Oceanus material, but it is not real cotton.
    The cotton take the sun, but need some precaution for molds.
    Just a good bath of Cuprinol will do.
    I love cotton, I started sailing with cotton sail, and it is the best material for a sail. For me.
    It is just I have an incontrollable need of real things.
    When I can ;) And now I can. :D
    I don't mind to take care and having high maintenance rig and hull, it is part of having a boat.
    Todd e-mail me saying my dimension are to big for him, and the only cotton he has is very light.
    Angel, I see you everyday, since the Angelique is berthed in Camden, and it is where I go everyday to just clear my head and shoot the breeze with friends, or take a cup of Joe.
    I know I will end up with a so call cotton, it is the way to go :(
    Thank you all
    Daniel

11. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Was there this summer and enjoyed it very much. The harbor, the hiking, the views from the top... the highlight of our vacation this summer, actually. One of the nicest places in the country (but don't let the secret out!) :D

12. Angélique

I'll look her up . . . . . . . . . . . . :)

I see Angelique is on top of Gambell and Hunter's homepage so I tracked down her sails...
    I'll guess that "Clipper" cloth of her current set is Hayward Clipper Canvas . . . . .

[​IMG] - [​IMG] nice wheel :cool:

[​IMG]

Don't mind she's called a Schooner here, the pic is OK :)

Btw, I was recently sold in England ;)

Cheers,
    Angel

13. hoytedow

Sure and you fetched a fair price.

14. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Even if you leave your Clipper cloth uncovered, it will last much longer than cotton. Egyptian cotton is wonderful sail material but it has problems that Dacron or clipper does not. It must be covered just like Dacron, because the sun does degrade it. If wet, it must be carefully dried then covered. It does not tolerate neglect at all and soon dies if ignored.
    Here's a 1901 schooner for which I made sails 40 years ago. I bought 70' luff marconi hand-seamed Egyptian cotton sails from Bacon and Assoc in Maryland for cheap. They were made in the 50s and used for one season then stored, and were in wonderful, almost new shape. I cut the head off and modifed them for a gaff fore and main on this 50' boat, and they worked fine, until a seam let go in the foresail at midnight in a gale, crippling the ship and nearly wrecking us on Duxbury reef. Without heavy ground tackle we would have died.
    The other photo is my present boat which uses Duradon, an artificial flax, for the mainsail, and I am very happy with it. My headsails are Clipper cloth, and pretty bulletproof. Mizzen is dacron and I don't like the shape much, but it's not the cloth's fault. A new mizzen would be Clipper. I use sail covers and the last mainsail lasted over 20 years.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.

15. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

I just got a new sail plan for my boat. Tom Colvin recommends a woven cloth called Top Gun as it has a lot of the handling characteristics of cotton but a lot less stretch and is more robust. I found a few places on the net where it could be bought including an agent local to me. Currently I'm thinking I'll make my own sails but we'll see. As it's a junk rig I doubt the local sailmakers would be interested or affordable anyway.

Tom made some comment that leads me to think that he still might make sails but I really don't know. You can contact him via his Web site if you want to know.

PDW

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.