sail identification

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by stanl, Nov 24, 2010.

1. stanl

stanl Junior Member

i salvaged this sail 10 years ago,here in the pacific northwest.does anybody know the class of boat it came from,the boat was somewhat similar to a lightning in looks and length,have searched the "sail insignia" webs with hundreds of examples but no luck,,,thanks for your input,,,,,,,,,,,,,stanl

Attached Files:

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Stan, I have the name of that boat on the tip of my tongue-which is no help to you. I guess I'm too tired...
    Heres a good resource for this kind of search(in case you haven't seen it)-it has many, many class logo's but I didn't see yours but that doesn't mean it isn't here:

Attached Files:

3. stanl

stanl Junior Member

thanks DOUG LORD for the reply,,i keep wanting to say "snipe " but that is not it,but maybe sounds something like that,,,and you would think that out of a couple hundred insignias in that web site it would be there,,,but noooooooooo,,maybe something only the pacific northwest had,,OREGON anyway must not get discouraged,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,stanl

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Be patient, Stan-there are a lot of guys here with lots of experience-somebody will come up with it sooner or later. I know the boat-just can't remember the name! Maybe in the morning.......

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Geary 18

I think this is it-the distinctive turned up bow in your logo pix was the key: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...l=en&sa=N&rlz=1T4DKUS_enUS258US259&tbs=isch:1

http://www.geary.com/Geary_18_Sailboats
    ---------
    The Geary 18 was designed in 1928 by the precocious and prolific Ted Geary for a contest hosted by the Seattle Yacht Club. After building his first original boat at 14, Geary designed competitive racers of all sizes and cruisers up to 147 feet. The "Flattie," as he called the boat that became the Geary 18, is raced with two people and features a broad rudder and a jib on a whisker pole. The class is strict in preserving the currency of old boats and forbids spinnakers and expensive new sail materials. A single trapeze, however, has been added. The Geary 18 is still raced along the U.S. and Canadian Pacific coast.

Specifications
    Geary 18 Flattie

Type Centerboard boat
    Designed by Ted Geary
    Year Designed 1928
    LOA 18 ft 1.5 in
    Displacement 525 lbs
    Sail Plan Main and jib
    Upwind sail area 200 sq ft
    Crew 2
    In production No

Class Association Links
    Geary 18 International Yacht Racing Association

click on image then again on resulting image:

Attached Files:

6. stanl

stanl Junior Member

woowooowww, thank you so much, after seeing the boat and sails and everything , i remember that was some time ago,,,you are my hero,,,,,,,,,,stanl

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.