Sail horsepower vs wind force?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by tommc, Feb 12, 2004.

1. tommc

tommc Junior Member

I am interested in calculating some sort of approximation of horsepower knowing force exerted on a sail. I am calculating force using:
    F (lbs / sf) = C x V(knots)^2
    Where: V = wind velocity
    C = constant = 0.004.
    Does anyone know a reasonable simple formula that would approximate the horsepower from this?
    Thanks

2. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

Power = Force * Velocity

3. tommc

tommc Junior Member

Thanks for the advice. I actually was thinking of that calculation but it ends up with HP going up as the cube of the wind velocity which I didn't quite want to believe was the case. So one more dumb question here. Does the available horsepower actually rise as the cube of wind velocity?

4. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

Sure, until you reach the stability limits of the craft. Then the force must stay constant (to maintain constant moment), so the power only goes up linearly after that.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.