Sail forces and sail plan ?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by fcfc, May 28, 2009.

1. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

terhohalme

Well perhaps you think standing behind a computer program and its results, not knowing if the results are valid or can ever be 100% validated not knowing how they are computed, not knowing the parameters and then attempting to provide the results from which, to others that really need help and advice, whom also have none, as 100% correct and absolutes whilst maintaining anything else is nonsense, other than that provided by said program and hence must be ignored.

If you feel that attitude and stance is perfectly normal and professional, yet to not accept anything blindly to question it and ask for justification and validation is arrogant, than i plead guilty.

You appear to have a very skewed subjective definition of what is or is not arrogant.

Perhaps you have not read the whole thread, nor the fact that many simple questions posed, that can be easily answerded in 30 seconds, have not been answered. Ask yourself why!

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Well. I know someone who is a mechanical engineer, and a brilliant one at that too. The couple of times I asked his advice on the best way to do this or do that he was always patient and indicated the pitfalls for what I was trying to achieve, and also indicated alternatives. Never once said I was wrong or stupid, just pointed the pittfalls out. In my opinionhe always acted in a professional way and his advice was always sound. I later found out he had some other engineering degrees as well he also practiced in. IMO an expert and a pleasure dealing with this person.

I guess what I'm missing here is that true professional guidance and advice, if it exists.

As for Rick, I think he's doing pretty ok with what he has to work with. It may not be as advanced and as professional as others have, but he uses the little to it's fullest.

I too do not defend Rick, or take sides, but from experience I can say that Rick has in the past gone to some lengths to help, explain and offered advice, when most experts didn't bother.
    Much appreciated.

3. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Fanie

I acknowledge that RW has often gone to great lengths to help and provide advice. Far beyond what would normally be expected (I often ask myself why--most odd). But does "helpfulness" = "quality".

Having an amateur to take the time to explain something, to the limits of their knowledge is one thing but when it is often beyond their knowledge and understanding, when the precipitant doesn't know any better, how is that helpful when it is misleading? Should one feel grateful just because time has been spent listening, regardless whether the information received is meaningful?

So, you walk into a restaurant, ask for a spaghetti carbonara, 1 hour later a steak Diana arrives, are you grateful that they spent time making a meal for you, or do you question why you received something you didn't ask for and question the service being provided?

To say "when most experts don't bother"...under what obligation is anyone to answer any question??....are you saying that simply to become part of this forum one must automatically answer every single question???...if an 'expert on aluminium or hydrodynamics' is in the mists of this forum, they are duty bound to answer every little question?

Many people with little or no knowledge come on this site for advice guidance. Speed of reply and longevity of reply and assistance is no measure of quality. Being kind and helpful is no measure of quality. A computer programs output is no measure of quality.

But, perhaps to those that do not earn and making a living in the industry, think it is...

4. terhohalme

terhohalme BEng Boat Technology

A professional or adult way is to question and criticise the claims or work, never the person.

We are not charging anything these aswers, are we? Anyone is free to ask, anyone is free to answer. An advanced amateur is always wellcome to present his/her opinions, work or foundings. We professionals are free to criticise the scientific truth of these claims. But in my mind, we professionals and adults are not allowed to criticise his/her person.

Computer programs are like all efficient tools. The result depends on the skills of the user. GIGO is the easiest way.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
    1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.