Sail calculation

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by cardeal, Apr 25, 2016.

1. cardeal

cardeal New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I am looking for some calculation to help me out in design a sail for my project (actually to see if it is feasible or not). I am studying a MSc in Marine Engineering at UCL (London-UK) and I have a challenge to design a mega container ship (40.000 TEU :eek:) for 2035 with sail assist.

I wonder if anyone can help me or give me a link where I can dig up the theory and the formulas.

Regards,

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

3. cardeal

cardeal New Member

thanks, will have a look.

4. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

I was at one stage told, the rule of the thumb is length x 4 is approx. the sail area required. i.e. for a 6 meter yacht = 24 m2 That will become quite sky scraper for your size boat. 300 meter long? x 4 = 1200 m2 meter. Bert

5. cardeal

cardeal New Member

thanks mate! will use this as a initial stage of development..

actually the LOA is almost 500m :eek:

but how the efficiency is increased with this value?

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Length times 4 isn't a very reliable method to calculate sail area. A wetted area times a qualifier will be much better, but in reality, you should use several mitigating factors for this calculation. Of course, the whole concept is absurd, but yeah, have fun with it.

7. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Hi PAR, of course you are right, but I feel nobody is really helping this student. Thus at least he is then able to work something out to get a feel whether it is a good idea to have a 500 meter long boat having some massive sails with all the consequences or to look for something else, like solar panels which produces energy in the dark + solar panels which produces energy during sun, thereby energy producing for 24 hours. By the time his 2035 boat is rolling out the shipyard, there might be even better solutions. With modern ships having only a few crew on board, to start with sails, are not very helpful to decrease the crew. 24 hours solar panels might be a better option. 200 watt per square meter for his available surface space of maybe (500?) 100 meter x 20 = 2000 x 200 watthr = 400 kwh, one can do something with 400kw extra propeller power. Bert

8. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.