Sail Boat Formula

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by pmusu, Jun 4, 2005.

1. pmusu

pmusu Junior Member

Since i have some basic programming experience and i like sailing, i got the idea of trying to produce a package in Java containing Formula of sailboat design.

If some of you can please post some sailboat formula, i will do my best to implement them.

Thanks

2. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Pick up a copy of each of these: Preliminary Design of Boats and Ships by Cyrus Hamlin, Skene's Elements of Yacht Design (Edited by Francis S. Kinney) and Yacht Designing and Planning by Howard Chapelle. These should give you some idea of the calculations. This is by all means not all inclusive and there are a # of NA's on this forum who can recommend other books to help you out. Unfortunately (for programmers), in my opinion, 50% of designing a boat is in the eye and artistry of the designer. Any drawing/designing package must be able to handle minute adjustments to the lines (any and all), along with being able to fully show waterlines, displacements, centers and moments at any position the boat can be made to take, relative to water (including the addition of waves and their affects on the moving hull).
    What I mean is... what kind of lift are we likely to see with x shape when the bow buries itself in the face of a 6 foot wave while the the last 1/4 of the boat is riding on the crest of the previous wave? What all of this would do is enable the designer to blend his/her artistry with a (fairly) predictable result. I am sure that some sofware out there does this...probably with a 5 figure price too.

Steve

3. pmusu

pmusu Junior Member

Thanks. but ideally not books, just some simple calculations to start with. However thanks for list of books.

What i intend to do is not a program in itself. but rather a sort of "library" with the formula where other programs can use the formula.

So there will be a program that will have calculations. Then other programmers can then call the package and create waterlines, displacement using GUI etc.

4. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

pmusu, why Java? and have you looked around the web lately, I'm doing a full 3D Nurbs CAD package and looking for developers...

I need to sort out the core code and I'm rather busy at the moment, but don't waste your time doing individually what others are doing as a team. You won't beat them. To really develop a good, useful piece of software, you need to be very close to the subject in question, and have plenty of experience.

Tim B.

5. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

I've seen similar stuff created. Search sailboat formulas and look around. Check http://image-ination.com/sailcalc.html and search sailboat ratios as well.Basic ratios are beam to length...oh heck, just search.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.