Safest way to get from NZ to Perth?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by wmonastra, Sep 14, 2008.

1. masalai

masalai masalai

The question was "Safest" and going the wrong way after crossing the "ditch" is a bit like trying to push **** uphill with a pointy stick.... and around the top, timed to avoid "tropical rotating storms" would be my choice always....

2. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Then the safest way will be to sail a well found and seaworthy boat the shortest distance, watch the weather and swell forecasts and stay out of the shipping lanes.
    In Winter yes I'd go the Northern route but in Summer the Southern route is fine and a lot of vessels travel that way with no problem whatsoever.

But what sized boat are we talking ??

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I cant believe you are trying to answer a question such as this without knowing how big the boat is and or what size engine , fuel capacity etc.

The SAFEST way is to knock the mast and keel off and put it in a 40 foot container, cheaper too. IF it will go in?

My mate just shifted his from Uk to Singapore,-- 3,000 quid,-- all in.

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Yes- but you conveniently forget about the "horror stretch" down the West coast of Australia, where not only are prevailing winds against you for twice the distance of the Bight, you also have one of the most ferocious lee shores in the world, with tide falls over 10 metres.

The trip isnt just along the sunny Queensland coast - why are you trying to prolong the agony for this poor guy??????

I vote for the container - get to Perth and enjoy some nice little jaunts to Rottnest Island - its gonna cost you more than to Singapore - but you will live and be comfortable.

5. masalai

masalai masalai

Arrrrghhhhh You "Victorians" must have been brought up in a frozen dreamworld? - I have been the Kimberly and NW coast and prefer Ningaloo and Abhrolis to freezing my everything in the Bight (where I have no desire to go....) It is on that point we differ.... - - so be it...

6. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

So Mas - you have done the Darwin to Perth Route have you ?
    or Perth to Darwin ?

Tell us how long it took ?

Especially from Darwin to Perth at this time of year when the trade winds that wrecked so many dutch ships on the west coast are predominant, and in your face from the moment of leaving darwin.

The discussion has *nothing* to do with the temperatures - ( we are currently experiencing between 25 -35 degrees between Perth and Melbourne), and everything Mike Johns was talking about - the quickest!! (hence safest). Count the number of large, safe easily accessible harbours between melbourne and perth, and then tell us how many and how far between from Darwin to Perth.

Then do a count of the number of sharp, pointy hidden (low lying) reefs 3 or 4kilometres off the coast between darwin and perth, and then tell me how many between melbourne and Perth.

Its all very well trying to sell sunshine and sand to the tourists, but for goodness sake lets keep this [poor guy in a little boat) as safe (and sandfly free) as possble

7. masalai

masalai masalai

Ok, I forgot I got scared holding too, off the Abhrolis in a gale overnight with dead battery helping a friend, and that was about 18 years ago or more, and the memories grow dim.... but the bottom way scares me more - can't abide cold weather....

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ahhhh lovely warm and safe container and a lovely warm and safe seat in a airplane with no more desicions than choosing chicken or fish.

9. masalai

masalai masalai

- ? beef, lamb, kosher, halal, vegan or vegetarian? - bloody diet constraints, just eat it.... and if it is too big for a box deck cargo.....

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Deck cargo is expensive and something I know about. Sydney to Singapore 30,000 aus dollar.

If it will go in a box 1/10 of that.

11. wmonastra

wmonastra Junior Member

Besides, its not sailing or an adventure if its in a shipping container is it, and i dont do planes as well as i sail offshore, so i know what ill be doing very soon.....

12. White Wolf

White Wolf Junior Member

The Bight

We sailed from Lakes Entrance to Melbourne, Port Fairy then straight to Perth across the bight a few years ago In December. Port fairy to Albany took 10 days riding the top of a big high pressure system with 30kn south easterly for 10 days: great sailing but bitterly cold and big swells. We got hammered coming around Cape Leuwin and it took 5 days from Albany to Perth.

Between Lakes entrance and Melbourne we hid in Refuge Cove on Wilsons Promontary for 4 days waiting for a bad storm to blow through.

I would be far more worried about the trip across from NZ as there is nowhere to hide. After you had made that trip I doubt the Bight would be worse.

Most people tried to talk us out of doing the trip and trucking the boat instead but I am glad we sailed despite any discomfort as it was an experience that no one can take away from you.

13. wmonastra

wmonastra Junior Member

HI White Wolf,

Thank you for your email, i think your right the Tasman is said to be one of the roughest seas in the world, but its been sailed many times before, and im sure i will sail it again as well., Any trip will have its good and bad points, there alot of people who are trying to talk me put from sailing it (both ways) and flying, but as i intend to sail further after ive been to Perth, im not going to put my boat on a container ship,

Im in no hurry so its a trip im not going to rush, as i want to enjoy it and savor the sights.

Keep the advice coming, it is very useful :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.