Safest way to get from NZ to Perth?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by wmonastra, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

I'd still take my time across the top if it was an option... thats the point of cruising, stuff the time... I'd be looking for the sights on the way. :D

2. masalai

masalai masalai

Ok you guys talk 15 deg celsius - That is far toooooo cold 22 is ok drinking temperature on a hot day and 24 is my minimum for a swim and stinger season, well pretend you are a pommy of 200 years ago :D:D:D and don't intend to get wet if possible.... Go look at the historical isometric charts over the past 2 years making note of the passing fronts..... I like warmer waters....

3. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

smiles, Nimbus has just gone over the top, now in Indonesia, they could not swim, each creek was full of crocs, not my idea of idyllic,
    However they had fish aplenty,
    I dare not look at market:((

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Thanks Bruce and Mike .. who says we won't help a Kiwi. Move 'em all to Perth, I say :)

Meanz still wants him to be up in the Cyclone/Monsoon Belt at Christmas, so he is probably a Sadist deep down.

Like I originally said - watch the high pressure cells, and time your run and if you get caught short, there is plenty of good shelters on the way.

One thing to remember, is if you aren't sure about doing the Heads before Melbourne,(tides, bad weather) look up the Port of Hastings, an inlet just east of the Port Phillip Bay Heads. They have a top class Marina there, and easy access from the open sea. Just follow one of the big tankers in. Lots of mud at low tide though, unlike Port Phillip

Its much easier to get into.

Are you still there Monstra?? :)

5. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

Oh bollocks... I said seasonally timed... don't go restating my postion or I will send you to Can'tberra :p

6. wmonastra

wmonastra Junior Member

Yes im still here lol, just enjoying sitting back and reading , and matching up the places you talk bout it on my charts etc. for the record i will be looking at moving my company to perth, , and sailing my yacht solo..unless anybody cares to join me for the ride lol..ive got my management heading over (by plane) to over sea it while im sailing over, so will make it abit of holiday as well. i wont have months to do it, but will have enough time to do it safely, besides i can always park it in a marina somewhere and fly, if i run out of time.
    Keep the ideas flowing , as im learning alot bout the areas you talk about.

Thanks

7. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Not if its that 26footer in your profile - that doesnt sound like fun at all.

I hope all your creditors have gotten insurance on your hide :)

Let me know when you hit Victoria though - it would be fun to visit and hear all about it.

8. wmonastra

wmonastra Junior Member

Just an update, Ive sold my company and am now planning the trip overseas. I will also have more time to learn more about the trip and plan more carefully as i will have the time to do it, So i welcome any advice.

9. masalai

masalai masalai

Just had a chat with some people in Adelaide couple of days ago and their advice was DO NOT GO via Great Australian Bight - go the safe/sane route around the top, and enjoy the cruise - else put it as deck cargo...

DO NOT SAIL - not good at any time....

You may like to buy/build in Australia as there is import duty and GST and "f" knows what else the bureaucrats will find to lighten your wallet.....

10. wmonastra

wmonastra Junior Member

hi, thanks, i guess i could pop into the whitsundays and have a look round...whats a good site to view yachts for sale in aus

11. masalai

masalai masalai

12. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Yeah, sail up to Queensland where the monsoons are currently dumping tons of water over everything and the winds are ripping the coconut palms apart.

A much better plan !!!!

13. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Take the scenery route and see polynesia. caribe, brasil, SA, etc :D

14. masalai

masalai masalai

It is all a matter of timing and when the weather is shitty enjoy some beer or brew some more till one runs out and the weather is more benign.... Going from E to W across the Bight after crossing the ditch is next to stupidity unless one gets ones rocks off butting brick walls perpetually and getting almost no where slowly.....

Of course to cross the Ditch one could go North and through New Cal, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands, skirt the bottom of PNG and by the time you got to TI & Cape York the monsoon season would be over, thence across the top and down to Perth....

15. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Everyone has an opinion, even 'some people' in Adelaide .

Depends on what they call the Bight and whether or not their boat can sail to windward, for most of us this is not really an issue for the short distance we are talking here.

Port Eyre to Esperance is one long leg, about 4.5 days at 5 knots, you can wait for the right weather too if not in a hurry. If you stay close enough to shore you get the sea breeze and more interest. Sometimes there's so little swell that boats have gone inshore and sailed several days in 15 feet of clear blue water and even anchored overnight, not quite what you seem to have in your mind.

Look at this for a couple of weeks and note the wind directions.

http://www.eldersweather.com.au/synoptic.jsp

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.