Rower/Sailer for Catalina for 2 men

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by a67676767, May 28, 2008.

1. a67676767

a67676767 New Member

yeah, that looks like it could be ok as a starting point. I don't have a sense for the cabin space. Definitely looks enough to investigate. Is there a way to get more info without buying the plans?

2. diwebb

diwebb Senior Member

Hi, you may be interested in the attached design I did many years ago for a plywood Swampscott Dory. She has been relofted and built at 12 foot long and was a delightful boat to row around the harbour for a single rower. At 18 feet long she would be suitable for the purpose you have outlined, but would need a watertight floation compartement built in to the bow and stern. A low center of effort, simple sailing rig, such as a lusail cat ketch with unstayed masts, would be suitable for this design. I recently installed one on a local two part nesting dory here in New Zealand and she performed well with it. The dory design is quite easy to build as every plank has one straight edge. The construction uses stringers at each plank lap and has sawn frames at each station. She is a bit over designed structurally but that is not a bad thing for a boat designed for this purpose. I also have a design for a 14 foot sailing rowing dinghy but construction is lapstrake ply and she is a bit more difficult to build. I have attached a sail plan for her as this rig would suit the dory. Attachments are photos of the hand drawn plans. Plans are available for purchase if you are interested.

Attached Files:

3. AuxiliaryComms

AuxiliaryComms Master work in progress

For a mono-hull that can sail, row and handle the ocean, look into the Grand Banks Dory.

They were made for open ocean cod fishing and rowing or sailing in seas that weren't always happy to see you. The carry a good sized load too. They were more stable in rough seas with about 1000 lb load though so I'm not sure how well it would work for you. 18-20 was common for the ones that could carry a sail.

4. diwebb

diwebb Senior Member

Hi, a few more thoughts. Joe Dobler did the design for Millenium Falcon which won the Catalina to Marina Del Rey rowing race several times. He has sevral designs published on the www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/dobler website. One that seems to suit your requirements ideally is the Nootka Sound. She is a 20 ft long rowing and sailing boat with overnight accommodation and designed for use in rough water. Plans are available for this stitch and glue plywood design.

5. multicapt

multicapt New Member

Chris and the member looking for info on Orca ,I am the builder and skipper of the boat you can go to www.rocexpedition.com to view a film of Orca in action.
    I have in fact sailed Orca from Barbados to St Vincent and she flew ,granted in a following sea however there is no doubt in my mind with a few changes she would be a lot of fun.
    Orca is for sale at the right price if your interested , make me an offer.
    I understand this forum is not about selling ones unwanted goods therefore if anyone would like further info on the boat I'd be only to pleased to help.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.