Roller furling boom

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Stumble, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

So I think I have found our new boat, a Jeanneau 37, the only problem is that it currently doesn't have a roller furler on the main. Yes I am aware of the problems with them, but for our application the limitations are more than worthwhile. The question is if anyone has experience or knowledge of in boom furling systems, and if so which of the major manufacturers would you recommend?

Note that in boom was selected primarily for the ability to use battens, and the price of retrofitting. In mast while great (had it on an Irwin 54') is way to expensive to retrofit. A non-furling main is not an option due to physical limitations of my dad.

2. CutOnce

CutOnce Previous Member

Zern Rigging in Pensacola may be worth contacting. There are riggers around Newport, RI that have lots of tubes in stock.

3. Brian@BNE

Brian@BNE Senior Member

I have no personal experience with boom furlers but have noted (from researching) two key elements:
    1. Boom angle is critical so rigid vangs are preferred to maintain correct alignment.
    2. Electric winches are very desireable, and its important to keep sufficient tension on the 'loose' line to avoid fouling. Apparently this takes a bit of practice to get right.
    Oh yes - they are expensive! I'm considering a Schaefer one - depends on how much I end up having to pay for the boat!
    Please post your experiences - either with research on issues or howit turns out (if you proceed)

4. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Brian,

I have done a lot of research into them, but am looking for some actual experience other than salesmen's reviews...

From what I can tell the hassle (setting the vang) of using them is relatively minimal. Just mark the vang line and always return it to that before furling. The slight preassure doesn't seem much of a problem either. On the race bat we don't let the main free fall either. Since we always flake it as it comes down.

An electric winch is already in the works... Just trying to find a used one if I can before ploping down the money on a new one.

5. CutOnce

CutOnce Previous Member

6. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

For cruising behind the mast is ok

http://yachtpals.com/cordelie

this is what I am doing on the micro
    I read a lot, and many cruisers were totally happy with the set up

7. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Nannie,

These systems work fine, and in some ways are more desirable than an in mast furler, but I have a real problem accepting the type of performance penalty you take from the way mains have to be cut to fit onto rollers. Since I am assuming I am retrofitting whatever I put on, I might as well install the system that gives me decent performance.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.