Rig modification in a Jeanneau 24 FUN

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Gades, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Gades

Gades Senior Member

Hi everyone,

I have a question about rig dimensions. I think I know most of the theory about rig tension, loads, dimensions... but I have never done any "real" calculations. Just at University, but now I have to solve a problem in a real boat. It´s a FUN 24, by Jeanneau (spelling?), I guess some of you know this boat, at least the European sailors.

We have four of these boats, and they´ve been used for racing mainly, but now they´re going to be used for charter. So the new users won´t do any racing, just cruising in a fast boat. Therefor, we´re going to make some modifications in the rig: boom will be higher, and we´ll try to make a "comfortable" rig. I don´t know the exact word, but the problem is from the backstays. This boat has the usual backstays, plus two additional side-backstays, because the spreaders are perpendicular to the mast (in search of oblicous), so the boat needs some extra tension in the mast. And now I want to move forward these side-backstays, so that the sailors don´t have to worry about them and the boom.

I know that because the angle between these side-backstays and the mast will be smaller, I need to increase the breaking load and therefore the diameter. I know what formulae I have to use, but is there any thing else that I should take care of? Or any tips that people always forget about?

If anyone has done a similar modification, please let me know if there´s something to which I should pay some extra attention.

Thanks in advance.

2. Polarity

Polarity Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.