Rig for a 19' sailing canoe

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by SaugatuckWB, Feb 11, 2014.

1. u4ea32

u4ea32 Senior Member

Regarding the sailplan:

I suggest you google "batwing sail"

2. SaugatuckWB

SaugatuckWB Junior Member

I see the batwings on several of the older boat designs, but it looks like a lot more sewing than I am going to do.

3. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

I would look at the lug rig on 'Paradox'. Low center of effort, infinitly adjustable area, home build... You have a tippy old boat. If you don't plan to hang on a trap or hike just go for the right sail area as low as possible.

http://www.microcruising.com/paradox1.htm

I have dimensions and instructions if you are interested.

4. SaugatuckWB

That lug rig does look good. I'd be interested in the dimensions you have Skyak. Here are the latest photos. Just tired of scrapping paint at the moment.

Attached Files:

5. gggGuest

gggGuest ...

Gosh, she's very flat floored isn't she. I'm inclined to think the daggerboard is a rather later amateur addition and she started off as a paddle boat, but SHC would know far better.

6. SaugatuckWB

Yes, completely flat. The centerboard trunk is obviously a rather poor later addition. At this point I think I will remove it and bring the boat back to its open, non-sailing condition and then think about if I want to set it up for sailing or sell it as a paddle/row duck hunting boat of some sort. I'm leaning towards setting it up to sail.

7. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

Per your request here is the most recent Paradox cut I have and an explanation of the change. I also included a flat lanteen cut that might be of interest.

Your boat was definitely a bird hunting boat. Some very good sail dingys were derived from bird hunting hulls.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.